www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fishing gurus, experts, or just hacks like me???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Too old to go early in this weather so will post a point i've been putting off awhile.This has been a year,still is,that allows one to 'see' water movement unlike ever before.High water,dams wide open,lot's of wind means flow patterns have never been more obvious in my years on the lake.IMO a real opportunity for those that believe water movement is a key factor in fish location.
    Some revelations have been stunning.A relative new spot Frankie and I have had success at consistently had a 'river within a lake' flowing across it 2 days ago that was very obvious.One edge of it so strong it was hard to pull against it even using the wind.And they were there.And some were big.:-)Suddenly a weird spot and structure found by accident made sense.
    And for those interested in doing the Bondy bait thing in deep current,well this year is Christmas near every day.Gotten to know a Canadian guide pretty well and the 'numbers' possible doing that this year in multiple locations are amazing.
    Get out there and observe if you can,some new spots will pay for years.Good fishing!

That's interesting Dick. We have always experienced some of our tried and true areas that were not as good with heavy current (indicator being buoy was leaning over too far) compared to when it had light current. My findings have usually been the following:
    Light current - best
    Changing current (coming back from high wind push)- very good
    Little/no current - good (maybe fish staging for/from current)
    Heavy current - worst

Obviously, the fish didn't just swim away, but maybe they just relocated on the spot? Maybe moved deeper? We did experience that, one year, when the fish moved deeper on a current spot (we call the S curve, I know you know where that is) that we found the fish by counting down tandems and using bull dawgs. They were high on the spot/structure one day when it had changing current and moved off to the deeper channel the next day when it went calm. We figured they couldn't have moved far so we went out into the channel and there they were. Maybe the case is the same for heavy current but we just haven't tried it yet.

Are you experiencing this in areas that are not the classic current areas near channels?

Jeff

Interesting. Do you find the fish hold in the current, or in the slacks off the current, like they might in a river?

Here you go Ryan Carol's Top Water !! https://youtu.be/AFWpJRjyDvw

Hey Ryan,couple of the fish I caught today were on Mr Toppie.Sweet.Will send you a pic or 2.One did the fabulous strike n tail walk like you captured on the video.Only thing missing was the 'Dick,Dick,Dick Dick'.

Fish or 2 here/there on surface.Heard of a 43 yesterday on a Whopper Plopper.Know a guy in(or near)Camp that has 4 on a Crackpot so far.