www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fishing gurus, experts, or just hacks like me???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fishing gurus, experts, or just hacks like me???

Well with the thoughts of fishing seasons in the North approaching and opening soon, I thought I’d throw out some discussion points.

In many past weeks fishing LOTW, there are often times where it seems like certain areas can run hot and cold. Not specific spots mind you, but whole areas like the Windigos, Johnston Passage, South End of Tug, The Narrows, etc., etc. Do you agree, think, and/or believe that this is true and does happen, or is it merely an observational coincidence.

If you think it does happen, than what explanation do you offer to explain this phenomena?

I think it does happen, and there the obvious times where the bloom, wind, and/or water clarity are obviously the culprits, but there are plenty of other times that those indicators simply don’t explain the differences in fish activity. There are always days, where you make a plan to hit an area and at the end of the day you are left scratching your head, while other guys went to some other area and were all over fish, and vice-versa. Sometimes you can see what is going on, when it’s obvious, and you jump to another section of the lake to salvage what’s left of the day. Sometimes even that doesn’t work.

Is it just timing? Is it the alignment of the stars?

I know most of this discussion is about the same as long-range weather prediction in terms of its probable usefulness, but I can’t help musing about it.

What make you decide to jump from an area or plan? How long will you stick it out if things aren’t working, but seem like they should be? Is it just a feeling, or do you put yourself on a clock? Is it just about finding the right approach or key that will unlock an area? Thoughts?

Ryan

From one hack to another,i suspect its a combo of syzygy and water movement in general.Subject always of course to the 'Big Fish Theory'.
    (http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Fish_Theory).

If I could figure that out I'd be a guide!

Doug Johnson

Ok, so I'm not saying what are the answers, per say, but what are some ideas? Maybe if i start with just the basic question.

Do hot and cold areas really exist, or just a lucky connection on the spots in that area you happen to hit that day?

Thanks, Dick. That should open up a lot of doors for me.

I don't really think there are hot areas, or cold areas unless they are effected by something like an algae bloom. What happens from one hour to the next is very hard to predict.

You may go through an area, and get nothing, an hour later someone else goes through the same area and does well. Seen it many times.

There's no magic.

Doug Johnson

Dick, get your heavy dbl tens. Did you try a 5,6,or 8 oz spinnerbait. 5 ozer is manageable to cast, But I tend to troll them mostly.
    JIm and Lynne

There are literally hundreds of 'studies' of oceans and some of freshwater dealing with 'climate change' but has anyone seen ANY that pertain to the lakes and waters of traditional muskie regions?
    Glittering generalities are all I can find.
    http://www.nwf.org/News-and-Magazine...ater-Fish.aspx

Default Rusty Crayfish

I think certain areas are Hot because of the weed growth...this is good info here LOL... Every year I will fish a spot area that has really nice weeds and the next year all excited to get there and bam no weeds flat as a board. I know last years weeds will probably be gone due to those rusty's. When will those weeds come back? Do the rusty crayfish die after all the weeds are gone?

T,I think it's anyones guess on the crayfish.Whats amazing is that if bass can't control them on the Woods,hard to believe they can be controlled naturally anywhere.
    http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/ais/rustycrayfish_invader

F Whiz,Did you conduct the experiment in the materials cited?Results from that will be as helpful as most speculation here.After that experiment,no harm in doing more experiments on the water on your own.
    There is only one true source for the answers you seek-the musky gods.Unfortunately they talk only to me and,to be honest,I haven't had any meaningful communication with them since I quit drinking.

Tim, The funny thing with the weeds is if they are gone I have found out that the fish still just use the sand there are bays that have no more weeds but still hold fish. And the hot area always seems to be the area we are not in .lol
    Darren

As someone that would come up for a few weeks each summer for about 12 years, I really never took the time to ask why fish related to an area or spot one year and then gone the next. Too busy getting on a pattern.

Now that I have had a couple full summers on the woods I have noted a couple interesting things.

Definitely a migration takes place in some areas where the fish pack moves towards the open water. You can kind of follow the pack in their progression.

Some spots can be terrible during the day and crazy good late in the day and evening.

Water temp is a big player on mid lake rock spots.

Wind direction is a big player on mid lake rock spots.

Speaking of rustys, one thing we noticed last year when we were up walleye fishing was that the bite was getting a little tough and people were just trying different things and one guy had a package of Powerbait Crawfish that he got on the Wal-Mart clearance pile and within minutes he was catching more and bigger fish than the rest of us combined. I thought it was a fluke but he just kept catching fish. I have added a few packs to my arsenal for this year as a result.

So the fish shrunk when it got older ?

50,000 views!!!!!!!
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Web Site: http://www.baystorecamp.com

I bet I'm down for 10k. LOL

Not sure why this went here.
    Last edited by fish_wizard; 06-21-2016 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Wrong spot

I do have some nite walkers in my collection and will definitely bring them.

Maybe it's just revisionist history, but I do think that, in general, the top water bite has gone down in the past few years. Granted my trips and time on the water is a sad reflection of what it once was. Maybe it's just the reduced number of reports that are posted these days? Just don't hear about as many jackpot, creeper, or even hawg wobbler fish.

Am I off base?

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by fish_wizard View Post
    I do have some nite walkers in my collection and will definitely bring them.

Maybe it's just revisionist history, but I do think that, in general, the top water bite has gone down in the past few years. Granted my trips and time on the water is a sad reflection of what it once was. Maybe it's just the reduced number of reports that are posted these days? Just don't hear about as many jackpot, creeper, or even hawg wobbler fish.

Am I off base?

Ryan
    I've had good luck on 10" weagles the past few years out of the back of my buddy's boat. Had a few musky strikes on Topraiders, one hooked. I've only been going up to LOTW since 2009, though, so no info before that.

By the way, when I logged in about 95% of this thread disappeared...not sure what the deal is there. Great forum, love all the info from everyone. I'll be up June 30-July 5, hopefully will have a positive report!

Chris

I suspect Carole got all 3.

So a couple days, or at least parts of days, on this last trip I was fishing third out of the back behind bucktails and was getting fish to follow to the boat on a shallow invader using a pull/pause retrieve. These fish looked like they were trying to lick the bait. I tried other lures after the second or third nice fish that did this but nothing else got them to move. Anyone run into a similar situation and found a lure they'd eat?

I tried Topwater, gliders, burning blades and other cranks.

What was the name of that bay again 😉 lol