www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: little bay perch fishing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default little bay perch fishing

Does anyone know any good places to cat perch in little bay. I took my kids out fishing yesterday for about 1 1/2 hours and caught 1 fish. I would like to keep them interested in fishing, but it's hard when they don't catch anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Default Perch spots

I,ve caught perch all over the bay, but I have never found a spot where they line up to get hooked. What that means is that you have to look for active fish (or fish that be triggered) every time out. A good starting point is usually some structure that has been receiving the wind for half a day or or more. Fish move constantly and you have to use a mix of experience, locator use, and carefully selected presentations to put any consistency in your catch rate. General seasonal movements can be a starting point. At this time of year, watch for a movement into newly developing weeedbeds, and that should be good through June.

If you are looking for action, (no necessarily from perch,) you can't beat the tip of Saunder's Point right now. The last three times I've fished there this year, I've caught a ton of nice rockbass. Set up in 30 to 40 feet of water, and drop some perch rigs over the side tipped with minnow, wigglers, or chunks of worm or crawler, (they're usually not the pickiest fish in the world.)

Sunday night was the last time I was out. We ran all over the bay looking for perch, but the calm conditions had them shut down, (they seem to like it wavy when anchored and using perch rigs.) I told my fishing partner that since the perch didn't want to play, we'd go find some fish that would. We set up just south of the tip of the point, and had our first fish on before we had all the lines out. We had a ball, and ended up keeping 27 between the two of us. If you've never kept them before, you're missing out. Put them on a plate next to crappies, and you can hardly tell the difference by taste.

Give it a try. If the kids, (and you,) don't have fun doing that, then it's time to find a new hobby
    CHRIS WAHL

Bay View Bait and Tackle Everything you need to fish the Bays de Noc.
    Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Best minnow counts on the bay.
    Voted best bait shop on Little Bay de Noc
    current hours - Every day 7 to 5
    http://baydenoc.com/bayviewsports/

Bay View Motel A great place to stay near the bay. Give them a call for room rates and availability http://www.bayview-motel.com

Thank you both for the advise!
    I am not opposed to catching rock bass. They are very tasty and the kids will have a ball catching them. Unfortunately my son ONLY likes to cast. He has little patience waiting for bites. But if they bite faster I think it may hold his attention a bit longer. And if not...I'll just let him cast... Thank you again very much!