www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Bait options

Default Bait options

I've been going up to the northwoods for almost 20 years now, and every spring we use the black tail chubs. I've been taught that these chubs are prefered by walleyes up north. But every fisherman on tv fishing northern waters seems to be using fathead minnows. Is there a major difference between the fathead and the blacktail chub?? and do walleye really prefer one over the other?

Chicago Mark:

Depends on who you are talking to... A lot of guides even seem to prefer red tailed chubs over the black tailed chubs... even before you get to the fathead preference. To me personally it comes down to a preference in what the 'eyes are taking... sometimes mixes are sold including dace and sucker minnows. The smallest of size is the fathead of this group. The hardest to find are the redtail and the dace. Some guides prefer certain fatheads over other fatheads looking for specific sex and size variations. Sucker minnows are sold by themselves and are preferred by many as are mud minnows, which may be the hardiest of them all. And yet many bait shops in the Northwoods only sell shiners during the winter, while in other places in the Midwest certain shiner species are all the rage. Lots to get into with this discussion, I would check and see what the bait shop might offer in the way of advice pertaining to the body of water you are fishing as well.

Mark

See, that's where the question comes from. A bait shop I called today in Land O'Lakes told me they didn't have blacktail chubs yet and didn't know if they would have any due to the cold weather and conditions. I have seen fatheads and Dace in these same shops and was wondering if they would catch fish as well?

Mark:

I am assuming the same thing for my friends coming up next week. With a late ice out it always seems that getting chubs is difficult, though it seems that blacks have been easier to find in my experience than reds. I am not concerned about my minnow choices, but would take those over sucker minnows in most cases, but that's me... I know of at least one popular guide in the area that fishes with nothing but fatheads even if he has a choice for others. You could probably call many of the bait shops in the area and you will get the same answer. I put in an order for several dozen with one bait shop last week for my friends for next week and have not heard whether I will be able to get them or not.

Years ago, we fished with fatheads all the time. We always wanted to have guides choice, so that we could get the best ones, but most bait shops will not allow you to do that. Gotta run, but perhaps calling Ray's Landing in St. Germain, perhaps he can help you.

Mark

I was taught many years ago by guide Jack LaChance that you should use black tails in the spring and red tails during the summer and fall. I guess that's been pounded into my head for years...but now I think i am going to explore other, more available minnow options! Thanks for your help Mark.

For what it's worth.....

My favorite minnows vary from lake to lake....

the largest cisco based lakes excel with redtails...
    darker water lakes do well with mud minnows and dace

It is tough to beat a large fathead or rainbow dace, some days there is a preference of the fish....problem is, with regulations and such, "REAL" rainbows will be tough to come by...VHS regulations have changed the way guys like Ray can trap.

I doubt(but hope) that we will have redtails for the weekend...cold weather hasn't allowed the bait dealers to get some in their traps.

Rob
    Rob Manthei Guide Service
    Web Site: http://www.robmanthei.com

http://www.stgermainlodge.com

Rob,
    If I am not able to get the chubs I want, should I try a different minnow? I'll be on the cisco chain. Also is it too early to try leeches or crawlers? Thanks.

Fatheads and dace always work for me there....
    Rob Manthei Guide Service
    Web Site: http://www.robmanthei.com

http://www.stgermainlodge.com

Mark:

Personally, I only have really musky fished up there, but I would think if you can't get chubs, that fats would work there... Wouldn't hurt to try those other baits if you can keep them alive for future trips, but I would think that this weekend is going to be all about the minnows...

Mark

Thanks for the info guys. Good luck to all, lets hope all of our livewells are full!

Mark