www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Here we go again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well at least there are three of us that can compare notes. We are starting to get our stuff together and time is getting short. We will be at C/H on Saturday the 4th and hopefully I will be on one of my favorite spots in the early afternoon. I tend to do more rigging than I should but old habits are hard to break. Every year I make plans to try dragging cranks and this year is no different. There are a number of flats that are prime targets and they are on my schedule but we will just have to see what happens. Another of our favorites is to slip bobber certain reefs. Can't get the kid out of me. Besides it is a deadly system for big fish. For the last few years the weed growth was late in the bays so we did very little with a spinner and crawler. Still might try some swim baits if there is any sign of new weeds. You never know until you get out there. Looking forward to passing along a report and I sure wish others would do the same.

Cross some Eyes
    Dick

Brad,

I come from Northern California to fish, about 2000 miles so I catch what I can. We have been thinking about moving back to the midwest as my brother lives in Omaha. It would make it a bit easier. I won't have to try and pack everything into a suitcase. Good fishing and don't catch them all.

Kym

Default Slip bobber

Dick,
    Tell me more about the way you slip bobber for big walleyes?

Default Brad

The presentation I use for slip bobbering is about as basic as one can get. The standard bobber stop, Thill slip float( lighted or not depending), and just enough weight to almost pull the float down. Set the stop so you are 6 inches or so from the bottom, add a leech, minnow,or piece of crawler to the #4 or # 6 hook or small jig and your about ready. That is the easy part. All reefs or simple rock piles have a path way from deeper water that the walleyes tend to follow to the dinner table. Some only work with a certain wind direction but most have multiple paths that are used. The key is using both your lake maps and depth finder to find that trough or even just a slight ridge that extends into the deeper water. Mark the high point of the reef and anchor your boat up wind and let out enough rope to position you with in easy flipping distance of the marker bouy. Start out off to the deeper side and allow the wind to move your rig up to the top. Adjustments will need to be done with the bobber stop until you find the active depth. Until you get the feel there will be some missed fish but that's part of the excitement that brings out the kid in me.
    As my 3 year old grandson tells me " Your not a Kid you just a Gampa."
    Kind of long winded but it is easier to do than to explain.

Cross some Eyes
    Dick

Default Good Call

Thanks Dick,
    I have been kicking around fishing a bobber for perch on humps with worms when I find big ones mixed with the walleye. That was a good call on the pathways walleye use to get up to their feeding grounds ,I haven't heard that one before . What type of line have you been using on your walleye gear? Keep the small ones and let the big ones go . Thanks Brad

Good Luck Dick.... Let us know how it went!!!!!!
    Kym

Default Good Fishing

Dick,
    Have a safe trip to the woods , and send us a full report . Keep the small ones and let the big ones go. Brad