www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Anyone fish out of a 22' Starcraft Islander?

Default Anyone fish out of a 22' Starcraft Islander?

I've kinda been internet shopping for these for a while now and was wondering if anyone had any experiance with one? It'll be for Lake Erie mainly but I'd take it to St. Clair for sure. Any opinions will be appreciated!

Brent

I have fished alot with Bruce "Saint Clair Hound" on his boat and it is a fishing machine. I really like how it handles the big water. We have been out in some rough stuff and had no problems at all. I just bought a new boat and it would have been that boat exactly if it weren't for the wifee. In my opinion you can't go wrong.
    Just my two cents.

Mark.

Thanks Mark. I thought I'd like one. Do you know which engine and how much fuel it uses? I think we'll get one before too long. Just doing my home work I guess. Maybe Bruce will check in soon!

Brent, I love my Islander. There is only 1 issue I have. The windshield leaks. The Islander has always had issues with leaky windsheilds, So in heavy rains you can't leave anything on the dash. Starcraft does not warranty the windsheilds.
    When I purchased mine I purchased it with a New 200 HP Evinrude Ficht, Non Current engine. Max out your horsepower to the rating. She will get up on top that much quicker and better fuel economy . When I am cruising I run at about 3500 - 3800 RPM. Depending on wave and weather conditions and how she is trimmed, at this range of RPM you will run from 27 - 32 mph. This is the sweet spot for me, great fuel economy. Mine will run 54 mph fully trimmed on a good day. But at that speed YOU WILL WATCH THE FUEL GAUGE GO THE OTHER WAY. Go with a four stroke kicker, "T" the fuel connection with a water seperator. That way you will not have an extra tank kicken around on the floor around your feet or in the way on the platform at the back. If you would like to see the way I have set mine up when you come up to St Clair I will gladly show you around. I spent extra $, having extra lighting put in , camper top, and stretch netting put in the cabin along the gunnels to hold things and not bouncing around the cabin. You are more than welcome to look at mine for set up. Maybe you can come up with some better ideas.
    Lead Follow or Get out of the Way
    The Big Hound is comin Through

http://web.mac.com/dogriver1

Thanks for the reply Bruce. I'd like to check yours out sometime. I know I'm going to be in your area in June and I'd love to go for a ride and see how you have it laid out. It can be very enlightening to see how other guys lay out thier boats. Most of the ones I see have the 4.3's or the 3.0's. It seems the O/B models are quite rare as they go.

PM sent Brent.
    Lead Follow or Get out of the Way
    The Big Hound is comin Through

http://web.mac.com/dogriver1