www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Gps

Default Gps

I am going to guy a GPS for fishing and need some feedback on which kind to buy. I am going to be useing it mainly for fishing and am going to be putting a card in it. So what brand and which card would you recommend.

tomjohn
    When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish that too!

That's a pretty loaded question. Be a little more specific...do you want fixed or handheld? How large of a screen do you want or have room for? If mounting how much room do you have and how will it b mounted? And most importantly, how much money do you have to spend?

I will recommend the mi lakemaster chip ...it is pretty good and usually coast $100, half what most are.
    Gary
    "SeeSwell"

I am looking for a hand held unit. Any price up into the $500.00's if fine.

I've got one of the Garmin entry-level ones (etrex). I love it. I use it mostly for hunting (as my Humminbird has a GPS on it). If the other Garmins in the higher price range are anything like my cheapy Garmin, I'd highly recommend them.

Default gps

http://www.lake-link.com/tradingpost...ngPostID=50294

here is an Ifinder by Lowrance for a decent fee.

Default Lowrance H20

Love my hand held Lowrance H2O. I've had it for several years and total price is only a couple hundred bucks. I have a Navionics card which covers MI, WI, MN, ND, SD and parts of Ontario (including LOTW and Eagle Lake). Great for ice fishing and travel and a nice backup to have in the boat just in case your electronics go down. Definitely worth the extra few bucks to get the color version. Very easy to learn/use.

Nothing bad to say about it at all, other than it takes a little time to find your location and to change map views at times.

Good luck.

http://www.jmsonline.net/lowrance-if...c-w-cig-pc.htm
    Last edited by IM MuskyTime; 04-24-2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Wrong Title, it's H20...not H3O

Default Lowrance i finder H20

I agree with the previous two post... The H20 is a great user friendly little unit (as are all i-finder's) and as stated makes a good ice unit, four wheeler and back up for my HDS. Takes my Navionics and Lakemaster chip's and has been dropped,kicked, flooded, slimed, used and abused... Through it all it still keeps workin..

I'm not a huge lowrance fan but also have an h2oc that I started out with and I functions well. Screen is a little small, especially if you're a bifocal wearer but its good all around especially with a ram suction mount.
    Gary
    "SeeSwell"

I have the garmin gpsmap60c absolutely love it I never needed a chip as a friend gave me a copy of garmin fishing hot spots that I downloaded to my computer. I then downloaded to the gps, its really neet cuz you can also transfer your waypoints back to your computer. Garmin does not make this model anymore but the model very similar is the garmin gpsmap 62s roughly around $400

Default gps question

Does that lowrance h2o show depth contours

I have a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx Color. Less than $200 on ebay. Much faster than the older versions for scrolling on the map, and the color upgrade from my previous Garmin is well worth the upgrade. The screen is small, but easy to read. Being able to use it with one hand is nice. The software is easy to use and accurate for contour lines. I use Fishing Hot Spots, but you have the option of Lakemaster and a few others too.

Personally I cannot wait until I can download the contour lines to my smart phone. The use would be much faster than a gps and I rarely forget my phone. The GPS is another story.....

Default Color!!

No Matter WHAT, Get the color screen! Its huge!
    I also have an H20. Next to the Vex its my most used tool, ok maybe 3rd after the strikemaster!
    Its a great feeling when it starts snowing like crazy and you have a safe route to shore... I love it. Works great in the boat as well. Need color for full sun viewing, and it really helps distinguishing contour.

I agree with stinkbait. Since I got one I've definately seen my catch numbers go up and the Garmin is a really good unit for the price. The color screen makes it easier to see the depth contours. I got mine as a gift and I beleive it was around $130. It is also pretty accurate.

Talking

I have the Lowrance Hunt - basically same as h2o. Nice units. Dropped it in six feet of water, sunk to bottom, and still worked (when brought to surface).

Yes they do sink, so having them in the chest pocket of your flannel in a fishing endeavor is. . .kind of dumb

Quote Originally Posted by grubworm View Post
    I have the garmin gpsmap60c absolutely love it I never needed a chip as a friend gave me a copy of garmin fishing hot spots that I downloaded to my computer. I then downloaded to the gps, its really neet cuz you can also transfer your waypoints back to your computer. Garmin does not make this model anymore but the model very similar is the garmin gpsmap 62s roughly around $400
    the 60 cs has the card slot for extended memory had the 60c ran out or room !! you can fit about 3 good maps on the 60c if you need maps i have all of them !

I want to thank everyone for the information. I have decided to get the Navionics card. Also I went with the Lowrance Out & Back gps. I hope the two work well together.