www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Catfish Lake Trip

Default Catfish Lake Trip

My brother and I are staying in a cabin on catfish lake and we are looking for some pointers (we are from Cincinnati Oh) we have been here before but that was 18 yrs ago we will be there the second week of june. Is thee usually a decent sma
    ll mouth bite then?

The second week of June should be a great time for smallmouth action. Fishing with a 1/16th oz jig and a large or XL fathead minnow, you will find good action from all species on the chain and yes, the smallmouth bite can be very good at this time. I like to key-in on gravel shorelines with lots of deadfalls but cribs on the ERC are a great producer as well. You will also catch smallies on the deep weed edge while fishing for walleye and perch. You don't even want to get me started talking muskies!!...early June on the chain can be HOT!

Chas Martin
    www.muskymastery.com
    Chas Martin
    Musky Mastery Guide Service
    Web Site: http://www.muskymasteryguideservice.com

Thank you Chas for the Info. I have purchased a fishinghotspots map and have been studying it pretty hard for a while now. I was going to focus a lot of my efforts on weed beds and fishing the edges of those beds pretty hard. I have purchased a new muskie rod and reel along with a ton of new muskie baits. I plan on casting for several hours everyday for seven straight days. I will be posting on this site throughout the week that I am fishing and let you know how we are doing and how the bite is. Again thank you for the information.
    -Luke

Default This should be a great season...

For 31 years I have kept track of when the ice left the lakes. I'm happy to say that the later the ice leaves the lakes the better the fishing is for walleye, and all the other species as long as the water temperatures continue to climb on a reasonable basis.

If we get extreme heat early.... it will be bad. If we get extreme cold for a long period of time.... it will be bad. Slow progressive warming in our waters is the key to a positive fishing experience.

Some of the best fishing springtime periods have come when the ice leaves the lakes the week of April 23rd,,,,,which it is doing this year.

Last season the ice was out in late March and the walleyes were in the weeds on opening day. Fishing was difficult at the middle of June due to high water temperatures and very high weed development for that time of year.

This year, if all goes normally,,, we should have a great early season fishing experience.

See you up north at Guides Choice Pro Shop!

Ranger Rick
    "Ranger" Rick Krueger
    Guide's Choice Pro Shop
    Web Site: http://www.guideschoiceproshop.com

Luke,

That is great! Keep us posted on your success and don't forget to upload the pictures too. Fish hard and smart...keep a close watch on bait fish movements and location. You will always find predator fish relating close to their food source.

Chas Martin
    http://www.muskymastery.com
    Chas Martin
    Musky Mastery Guide Service
    Web Site: http://www.muskymasteryguideservice.com

Default Thank You Guys

Chas and Ranger Rick,

I have already talked to my brother and we will be purchasing our at Guides Choice Pro Shop. We will be in on the 10th or early morning on June 11th. Ranger Rick what time do you open? Also, what do you prices look like on bait?
    The other thing that has us excited is that my brother and I just purchased a new 2011 Bass Track Super Guide SC-16. I wanted to thank you all for the information and I will be posting how we are doing, where we are catching them (depths/water temp/location/and bait) and the pictures. Hope all is going well up North and good luck to you both and good fishing!!!
    THanks,
    Luke