www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Snowfall Slows Ice Melt

Default Snowfall Slows Ice Melt

A few days ago we received 6 to 8 inches of snow here on the Cass Lake Chain of Nine Lakes. The blanket of new snow on the lakes insulates the ice and temporarily stops the melting process. But the right combination of sun, rain and wind will surely speed things up real soon. Almost all of the snow on land has melted. Ice remains on the lakes but it's days are numbered. My best guess now is around May 3rd. Ten day weather forecast calls for temps ranging between 53 and 60 degrees.

Bald Eagles and Loons are easy to spot right now from the shore. Trumpeter Swans were here but have been gone for a while. Large Canada Geese patrol the waters off our docks, along with many ducks and other birds.

Debbie and I are well into spring cleaning. Spring is when you see how many rocks were pushed into the grass by the snowplow. There's just no easy way to fix that...it's just called hard work. We gathered up many sticks and branches and had a nice fire by the water Thursday evening. Debbie and I enjoyed a couple of hot dogs and brats cooked over that open fire in the early spring air. It's a moment when you remind yourself...this is why we are resorters. And just so all of you know....Mike had some spring training....I cooked some golden brown marshmallows over that fire that were 100% cooked all the way through...but not burnt. Can I cook some for you? (Every Monday night we serve free Hot Dogs and S'Mores to our Registered Guests at 6 PM from Memorial Day to Labor Day. We hope to see you there!)

We've gone to work on Cabin #8. Guests who stay in Cabin #8 in 2011 will enjoy the improvements.

Guests will be here May 13th. The smell of fresh coffee and various kinds of bacon will soon fill the air. All of our cabins are filled by people who have been here before. It's a wonderful week. After Opening Week...we still have a few cabins open every week all summer long. Please join us. You'll like the clean resort...you'll like having nine lakes to fish.

We've added some hooks in all cabin showers to hang up wet rain gear. We have a new quality tetherball that has a special rubber cover that is designed to provide a soft touch resulting in less sting.

Here's a few things you may want to remember this spring:

Charge or replace your boat batteries. Change the grease in your lower unit. Trailer tires, bearing grease and lights are a must. Remove propellors on outboard motor and trolling motor to remove fishing line that can wrap around the drive shaft. Monofilament fishing line is inexpensive. Change it. You need good line on the kids reels too. If you have good line....cut off the end six feet so you have fresh line to start with. Pack an extension cord and portable charger to charge your batteries while on vacation. Don't forget your camera and supplies and your sunglasses. Pack sunblock. You need several needle nose pliers in your boat and several clippers. And at Oak Haven....be sure to remember to bring towels....even fishing towels.

New for 2011...new embroidered Walleye and Largemouth Bass hats....very cool. New hooded pullover sweats in Black, Forest Green, Navy and Purple showing "Oak Haven" in a gold ink. New kids t-shirts and kids hooded/zipper sweatshirts. Be sure to pick up our Oak Haven t-shirt that lists all nine of the lakes on the Cass Lake Chain that you can enjoy fishing while you stay at Oak Haven Resort.
    Last edited by Mike Trachta; 04-27-2011 at 09:00 PM.
    Oak Haven Resort
    Mike Trachta

Web Site: http://www.bemidjiresort.com