DooFighter has done a fine job of covering all the bases but Levin makes my blood boil too therefore I'm compelled to throw in another 2 cents.
First,my blood boils at the specter of this buffoon stalking the halls of Congress with the ever-present glasses hanging off his nose masquerading as a defender of our 2nd ammendment freedoms ( Carl,most of us use reading glasses too but manage to find a pocket for them). His response to Doofighter is a form letter which, to say is an insult to our intelligence,is being charitable. I also think the response is a non-sequiter but didn't read Gary's initial volley.
Let'sgofish; which part do I disagree with? I disagree with the license he takes with the numbers for one. He asserts that the Brady Bill has prevented 1.6 million purchases by "potentially dangerous individuals" and the number of deaths "dropped 22%" and "private party transactions account for approx. 40 % of all sales"!! These facts & figures are completely fictitious and it strains credulity that he thinks people will swallow this dogma.
I also disagree with his position on " assault weapons" and high capacity magazines (none of which I own or have an interest ) because it's the same old mentality that characterizes Carl Levin and his ilk in Washington - feel good legistation. Gun control doesn't work and if anyone believes in the demigogic rot he outlined in his phony form letter I'd suggest they also believe in the Easter Bunny.