www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Your best lures for Smallies on TFF and time of year to use them!!

Default Your best lures for Smallies on TFF and time of year to use them!!

I have fished there once and it was tough. Late July of last year. Water was like chocolate milk and of course it was hot. Trying to make it up there this year in early to mid June. Looking for your ideas on how to catch some football smallies. I used tubes last year. Did ok. What are your thoughts?

I've had good luck with jigs/twister tails and with Rapala husky divers. Black back gold belly has always worked well. Caught them with just about anything on the TFF though
    Matt

Default smallies tff

I have found that a Northland thumper jig tipped w/ a 2"to 3" twister tail grub works well.Try various speeds and presentations to see what the fish "want".
    Water on the flowage can vary to very clear to murky.When clear use more natural colors-black,blue,brown etc.... When murky go to more colorful bright colors that make noise.Good luck and remember smallies on tff are not always long but they sure can be some fat "footballs".
    Bupa/Bob S.

Default nightcrawlers

Find a hot July day... get some big fat crawlers... you'll find plenty of lunkers.

We usually arrived in early June (post spawn) and slayed them on wacky rigged Zoom Trick Worms (darker colors) on medium light spinning gear (6-8 lb test mono) for the past 3 years. I'd probably use live crawlers texas rigged on split shot if they weren't shallow. Never had to search for the fish when we've been up there, so I can't offer advice if shallow water patterns didn't work out.

Default leeches

try leeches under slip bobbers about anytime after June

early to mid june, crawfish colored rogues, twitched, not straight retrieved.