www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Battery Questions

Thumbs up Battery Questions

I recently purchased a new 1625 Lund Rebel XL, I'm wondering what kind of battery to get for starting. The boat has a Mercury 60,4 stroke. Also I'm looking for a battery for the Terrova 55lb thrust w/auto pilot on the front. Any suggestions would be great. Also I'm wondering if this boat would be o.k. for the both bays but mostly for Little Bay De Noc.

Thanks in advance for any tips!!!

10# Hunter

Well, I just bought a used Lund Rebel 16' with a 25 hp tiller on it and I plan on taking it out in the bay. I don't plan on doing anything crazy (like going out in bad weather or driving out to Minneapolis Shoals or anything) but I figure the boat is more than adequate to use in the upper bay and elsewhere if I'm prudent.

Default batteries

Just my opinion.... but I'm sticking with the Wal-Mart cheapo batteries again this year. I just simply won't pay the extra for the AGM or any other batteries. I'm sure they are great batteries, but I've had good luck with the Wal-Mart cheapos for up to 4 years of use (I wouldn't push it past that). I have a 17.5' aluminum with a 70hp Evinrude, and last year ran a 55 lb 12volt system. I use the 29 group size batteries for starting and trolling and have had no problems with them. However, I did have an x-tra battery on board...if you plan on trolling for 6+ hours on a calm day/night you will go through an entire charge with the 12volt system because it takes so much juice to maintain speed without a tailwind or waves pushing you along....but no big deal...just change the battery on the fly and resume fishing. I'm switching to the 80lb. 24 volt system this year, but am still sticking with my Wal-Mart cheapo batteries for it! Again, this is just my experience; I'm sure those expensive batteries are great products, but fishing is expensive, so I save where I can!

I would check your owner's manual for the Merc. Sometimes they have specific minimum requirements for Marine Cranking Amps as far as starting batteries go. With my old Lund I had good luck with a Trojan deep cycle battery (SC225) with a Minnkota 55lb AP (lasted 4 years) for crawler harness speeds. Walmart's and Interstate's are good too and cheaper.

I have the same size boat, a 16.5 ft tracker with 92" beam with 50 hp 4 stroke merc. I have a interstate cranking battery for the merc 400cca. And 2 large 29 series deep cycle batteries up front for the trolling motor(55 lbs/12 volt), that way you don't have to switch part way through the day. You should have no problem on the bay as long as its not to windy. I also have a a trolling plate on it so I can troll slow enough with the main motor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1458 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	13070  

Talking

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate all the tips you've given. It'll make my decision easier now that I have some ideas. Thanks to everybody who makes this website soooo good!!!!!!!!!!!

10# Hunter

I don't have any personal experience with this battery, but Sears makes a pretty cost-effective AGM battery in the Die Hard line.

I just a got an AC Delco 31 Series AGM battery from Danny's Auto in Engadine for $135 out the door with a core. I don't have any experience with these so I hope it works out. It was about the best price on one I could find.

I like the wal mart ones,there always open and one is usually close wherever Im at.tip;keep the recipts
    KEEP THE SLOT ON BAY DE NOC

Default Check Napa

Napa's largest marine battery is on sale right now with a mail in rebate...total cost is around $65-70 after you get the rebate. Lasts through May I think. I bought one last year and liked it so much I went and got another one. They sold out in a couple of weeks here in town last year (Iron Mtn/Kingsford), but they were stocked up last week when I was in there.

Good luck.