www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Lake Dock-Pier Length

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Lake Dock-Pier Length

Hi, does anyone out there know of any State requirements regarding dock lengths from shore. We are in the process of building a dock for our Lake home in Mercer. I was told by a dealer in the area that there are no specific requirements as long as a person uses common sense and doesn't
    extend a dock to far out and create a hazzard for other users of the lake. We plan to extend 42' from shore. To me that seems reasonable. I did look on-line but didn't find anything specific to length requirments. Our home is not on a "point", but rather a straight run of shoreline approx. 1,000 feet both sides if that makes any difference. Any opinions or words of wisdom from members would be appreciated. Best Regards, Larry

I don't think he is correct. I was told you can go out as far as you need to hit 3' of water to dock a boat or use a lift. So if it takes 40' to hit a 3 foot depth you are ok. Here is the link to the wis regs.
    http://dnr.wi.gov/waterways/checklis...ierorwharf.pdf

Default Thanks for the info

Hello Jay and Cade, Thanks for providing the Wis. DNR regulation link. Our old pier is being replaced by the new one I'm constructing at our machine shop. I didn't want to create something beyond the boundries of the law. Your help is really appreciated and I wish I could have found the proper link myself.......... again, many thanks to you !!!! Kind Regards, Larry F.