www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Weather radios

Default Weather radios

Hi all!

TFF based reminder to get/use your weather radios at home and outdoors!

http://readywisconsin.wi.gov/tornado/survivors.asp

Ice out is coming soon, see you on the water!

Larrynrita

Larrynrita:

Hope the healing is coming along nicely and you are all ready for another TFF season!!!

Carry mine with me all season long in the boat. Also have the cell phone and wife at home is happy to let me know if something nasty is on its way.

Just last Sunday fishing north of the TFF, we got a couple of texts letting us know that the thunder we were hearing was coming from some nasty stuff. Got in the truck just as it started to rain hard. Fortunately the bad stuff snuck just to the south of us!!!

Mark

Thanks Mark!

We're doing OK, it's hard to tell at this point whether the aches and pains are from recovery or old age! Looking forward to wetting a line.

So the text alerts you get, are they courtesy of the wife or a messaging service? If it's a service, what kind?

Anyone out there have experience using Verizon smart phones like the Droid on the TFF? If so how's the signal? I bought a Samsung Convoy because it's rugged and waterproof and added a weather app, but the problem is the signal reception is dismal at best!

Larry

I was with altell and was able to get service out on the TFF with all of my phones in various places, and wouldn't in others. I'm now with cellcom and have a Motorola Quantico. Haven't gotten to try it up on the Flowage yet, but everywhere else I get excellent reception (better than any other phone I ever had).
    Matt

Larry:

That is courtesy of my wife, she's so very good like that!!! In most cases I know that weather is approaching before I go (courtesy of nws.noaa.gov), so I can take out the weather radio and just plain listen what's happening in the area around us. If I have partners with me they can't take that droning voice, so I just put it in alert status, which scares the bleep out of us!!!

Mark

I have the droid and used it on the tff last year and was happy with the results. There were some spots that I didn't have reception but could always find reception while walking around the campsites. While drifting or using trolling motor some times I would lose reception but not for long. I have the weather channel app which has alerts and radar along with normal forecasts.

Smile Larry/Rita on the radio

Larry/Rita are in a short piece on WTMJ-AM .Its about severe weather and weather radio.Helluva way to be media stars LOL.Think summer ,it will be here eventually!!!
    God Bless All-Bupa

Thanks Muskeye. Everyone has found that service on the TFF is on the edge, I was thinking of going to something with a larger screen for weather radar maps. Just wanted to make sure the reception was decent after the bad experience with the model phone I have. Hey Mark B, has your wife thought about starting a weather texting service for anglers?? Larry

Bupa, all this fame and no fortune are getting old! Seriously, last fall we did some promos for the hospitals that helped us, and respectfully turned down
    more requests over the winter because we want to put things behind us. When the National Weather Service & Wisconsin Emergency Managment system contacted us a couple of months ago for a campaign to get people to get weather radios, we figured it was worth it - burning vacation time that could have been used on the water! Now we just wanna go fishing!

See you all out there soon! Larry

Larry:

Great idea!!! She manages to do that without high speed at home as well. I run it past her this p.m. when I see her...

Mark

Smile National Weather Service

I have an inexpensive weather radio from Radio Shack and it seems to do the job for me when I am on the TFF. Just a voice model , nothing like what you can get for some of the cell phones but I like it. I also look up and get off the water when it looks bad. Tough to out run a tornado and figure out where to hide from it , good or bad electronics. Be responsible for your self, help others when you can. Have a great day.

Question

I use a BlackBerry with Verizon and a have a weather app called "Weather Bug". My son and I were on the TFF last year for a week. Called it a day early when I got a weather alert. Tore camp down and just made it off the TFF before the tornado came through. Also had my wife texting me about the storm. We have been through quite a few of the quick moving storms and typically we ride them out. Glad we decided to pack it up last year. Can't wait to return again this year!