Now that another season has come and gone, I always like to reflect back and compare things from year to year. 2010 was a strange year fishing-wise. Some species were hot when others were completely cold. Things started off strong with incredible numbers of catfish and sturgeon, but the average size seemed to be down a bit. Although they did pick up considerably by early June, I was focusing on the walleye bite on Lake of the Woods.

When the walleye season started on Lake of the Woods, it was nothing short of spectacular. Although we didn't boat any 30"ers this year, the number of 24-27" fish were the best I've ever experienced. I would compare it to the numbers and size that I catch at the Northern Manitoba lodges. World-class, you bet! I explored new walleye waters more than ever before and the results were amazing! Not only were there lots of fish, but there wasn't another boat in sight!

Finally it was time for muskies! The season started off quite predictably with us seeing lots of fish around the opener, but the action was mostly from smaller males. Once the fish settled in their summer spots, things were fairly constant. We had a few great days with 5+ skis in the boat before Mother Nature unleashed a monster cold front on us late summer that dropped surface temps by up to 19 degrees in only a few days. After experimenting with some new patterns during this time, we had some great luck and caught some great fish. Have a few stories of the big one that got away too unfortunately.

Fall fishing however, was a tough one for the big fish. Lots of fish from 40 - 45" but the big heavy fish were few and far between. The odd confirmed big fish that were caught just seemed to be a case of right place, right time and could not be patterned successfully.

Right now, I'm looking forward to getting the boat wet in a couple weeks on LOTW! The pike won't know what hit them! I still have some openings in May for the Ontario pike fishing, as well as catfish and sturgeon in Manitoba for anybody who's looking. July and August are almost full as well so if you're looking at a musky trip, I would recommend getting in touch with me soon if you can. You can now call me toll-free at 1-866-676-FISH.

Thanks for all the new friendships I was able to make this year, looking forward to another strong year for 2011!