www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Late Ice Report

Default Late Ice Report

By the looks of things, this may be the last weekend we will be able to ice fish on most area lakes. The weather gods are predicting 65 and sun on Saturday and 65 and rain storms on Sunday. This weather will not help the ice conditions. There are still some lakes that have a foot and a half of ice, but getting on the lake is a different story. "Last Ice" is one of the best times of the year to target slab Crappies.

Daily limits of slab Crappies are becoming the norm. John wasn't kidding a couple posts back about bigger jigging spoons for bigger fish. These jigging spoons get down to the fish faster when you're hole hopping looking for active fish. They also seem to "call" the fish in with a unique vibration. Get out and enjoy the beautiful weather this weekend. On a final note, good luck to John Carlson and his wife Dawn as they will be having their third boy on Friday.
    Ross's Sport Shop and Guide Service - www.rosssportshop.com
    Tooth Tamer Rods - www.toothtamerrods.com
    Dreamcatcher Bucktails - www.dreamcatcherlures.com
    Phillips Ford - www.phillipsfordonline.com

Good Luck with baby 3 John and wife Dawn!!!

Mark

Thanks for the report!

Looking to give it a shot Saturday if the ice holds up. John has worked up some guidance for me as he'll be tied up with the new little one and can't come out. Glad I stopped in to Ross's last weekend enroute to Minocqua.

Hey I just wanted to give a big Thanks to John at Ross's Sports Shop for helping direct us on a lake we had never fished. We followed his Directions well, but messed up his Instructions a bit. Ended up with 8 nice Crappies which should have been 12+ and if we'd have followed his notes a bit closer would likely have been more.

We'll definitely be back for years to come and most certainly with the boat when the ice goes off.

Brandon, is the lake open water after this past weekends weather? Trying to schedule dumping the boat in.

The Chain is open enough to get boats in, There is a guy crappie fishing out on elk right now!!! I'm not sure about the other lakes I'll have to go for a ride later and check it out.
    Ross's Sport Shop & Fishing Guide Service
    John Carlson

Web Site: http://www.rosssportshop.com

As John said, the ice on the Chain is about 75% gone. Most other area lakes have ice on them, but it's not safe.

John & Brandon:

What you guys hearing about anything opening up between you and the the Pike/Round Chain??? Thank you in advance!!!

Mark

I drove over the culvert on the south side of Pike today and about half of that basin is open. The Flambeau River is wide open (both north and south forks). Haven't heard much else, but no one is really talking about it. Any lakes in particular you were wondering about?

Brandon:

Thanks for the reply, assuming that John is pulling baby duty or did he get a wild hair and head to Cave Run for the PMTT.

Not really any lakes in particular as I have my boat decking out of said boat and in the garage, prepping to reinstall this week. I just knew you were opening a little faster than the rest of the area and thought it worth asking. Hopefully the boat will be done by weeks end and I'll be able to do a little exploring in your area.

Mark

I would like to be at Cave fishing right now... I hung up my tournament hat for this year with the new addition to the family. I'm still going to fish a couple of local tournaments. After that wind last night most of the water on the chain is ice free. I really hope that this weather starts shaping up for the opener. I have my turkey tag for next week so I plan on being cold and wet.

Redhorse action is going hot on the North Fork of the Flambeau, when the high water levels on the South Fork come down the fishing should get going there too. Some reports of Redhorse action on the Jump but high water is making it hard to fish there too.
    John Carlson

Mid Lake on the Mincoqua Chain opened in the last day, but that is the only water open that know of right now in our area. Thanks for the help guys!!!

Mark

Most Minocqua area lakes are still fully covered with ice (Lake Minocqua, Brandy Lake, Big and Little Arbor Vitae, etc.) The Phillips Chain is 100% ice free.

Does anybody know if the ice is out on Butternut and the flowage above
    Park Falls not just the main river channel but the back bays and stumpfields.
    Thanks

I haven't been up there to tell you, sorry... If I hear something I will post it
    John Carlson

Flambeau Riverman:

Fished lake Superior yesterday and on the way home the Gile Flowage looked to be pretty open including backwaters. I know that they are reporting as of this weekend that the Turtle Flambeau is ice free as well. Lots of lakes will lose their ice in the next two days with the warmth and hopefully our next rain/wind event!!!

Mark