www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: fishing line

Default fishing line

Hi guys, getting ready to string up my rods and was wondering what line you guys use on your ultra lite and walleye rigs?? Thanks Brad

Eagle 1:

I have a rod set up with 6# Green Cortland Mono, two with powerpro 10#/2#diameter and 20# floro leaders for early fishing.

Mark

Not to hijack the thread... Have you guys used braided line on your spinning rigs? It's getting to be Crappie/Sand Bass time down here and in years past, the mono I use to string my spinning gear gets so much memory it literally de-spools almost the entire spool whenever I cast. I wind up cutting so much off because of tangles, I barely have enough to cast to the far side of the creek.
    I was thinking on trying braid due to the "no memory" qualities, but would like some feedback from those who have tried it.
    Thanks!

Most of the time I use either 6 or 8lb. mono on my walleye rods. I have tried very light Spiderwire (10lb) and have had reasonably good results with it. It is very sensitive due to the non-stretch quality of the line and you do avoid the dreaded line twist that is inherent in monofilament lines. I have had good results with using the Spiderwire and then a swivel with a foot or so leader of monofilament below and going to the jig. If you have a reel with a spare spool I'd suggest setting one up with straight mono and another with the braid line of your choice. Give them both a try and see what floats your boat.

Pete Stoltman Regular Fishin' Regular Guys
    www.rfrgoutdoors.com
    rfrgoutdoors2@gmail.com
    (715) 614-4142

Thanks everybody, thinking of going with some florocarbin. I have a buddy that is using it and he loves it. very little memory low stretch and low visability. will post my findings. sounds like a good show this weekend. Keep up the good work and thanks for the help!! Brad

Jeremy, for crappies I use the same 10/2 power pro and tie in 4'-6' of 10# floro and am really only using the 20# to prevent breakoffs at the knot when the jig gets snagged on the bottom. I could probably use 20# braid and that would reduce my breakoffs of the floro in the 10# floro when jiggin eyes, but I really love the 10/2 power pro.

Brad:

Biggest concern that may have been improved upon is the twisting of the floro if you spool entirely on the reel for fishing. It might work well with a baitcaster, but IMHO on spinning reels it seems to twist faster than mono.

Mark