www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: April Cave Run Fishing Questions...

Default April Cave Run Fishing Questions...

Hey Everyone,

Me and a couple of buddies make the trip down to Cave Run once a year from Michigan to do some fishing. In the early years we came to catch anything we could (mainly Bass) but over time we've grown to enjoy hunting Muskies though we haven't been very productive over the years.

This year we're coming in the middle of April. I wondered if I could throw out a few questions if you don't mind.

1. Did I read correct somewhere that there is a big Muskie tourney Stauruday the 16th?? If so looks like we'll be sharing the water that day!

2. Also, any surefire tips for some beginners? Always casting, never trolling. We love fishing the flats out front of the Alfrey launch so that's where we spend most of our time.

3. For any of you that fish for bass, what water temp am I looking for on Cave Run st start the spawn? Do you think they'll be spawning in a couple weeks?

I appreciate any help you could offer. I love Cave Run and I can't wait to get down there and FISH!!!

Thanks!
    Gary in Michigan

Default good luck !!!

lots of lookers but no one seems to want to talk about the lake or the conditions or if anyone is catching anything. its like trying to pull teeth !!! maybe they think we are pumping people for info for the big tournament. its ok to give out info like that mentioned above. i dont care about joe blows secret spot or magic lure. all people want to know is are they bitting and how is the water. if it wasnt for tony (who is a cool guy) posting stuff on here sometimes there wouldnt be any info on here at all. its kind of a boring site to me !!!!!

I will give you all some info since i am not fishing that tourney or any tourney for that matter. Last time i was out there which was last weekend the water was sitting about twelve feet above summer pool with color in some places. Cast along creek channels and around structure in relatively shallow water. Throw jerkbaits and 3/4-1 ounce rattlebaits. The main lake is pretty clear but has been kind of murky the closer to beaver that you get. As far as bass go i couldnt tell ya. I never really focused on bass much on the Cave. I am always musky hunting. Hope this helps some!
    When life hands you lemons, squeeze em in someones eyes and get your butt out of there!

Sorry man I only fish March. It has been my experience that if the lake level is steady or slightly rising it is better than if the level is droping. I find this out at the army corps of engineers web sight. Also when I go down to the cave I stay with Tony and he (and everyone we meet) is great about sharing information to help put me on the pattern. When traveling long distances to fish I just get there and beat the water until something pops.

Yep, the PMTT usually brings in a hundred or so fishers, but you can work around them. Think about launching at Bangor or Poppin Rock and fishing the Licking River. Just be sure to go slow and stay in the channel, lots of stumps to take out your prop if you don't, but the bassin is usually pretty good up there.
    It's a big lake, so don't let the extra traffic scare you off. We'll be fishing down there this weekend for the first time this year, so send me a PM or e-mail next week if you want any details. m

Thanks guys. Like I said I'm just a beginner. Not fishing in any tournament even though it appears my fishing trip is during that same week. I kinda wish I could reschedule my trip because of that but it's too late for that.

I've always been a bass guy and slowly moving over to Muskie. I really appreciate the tips. If you see a light blue Stratos on the lake with a Michigan registration number, stop by and tell me what I'm doing wrong! :-)

Default Michigan guy

Hey Gary:
    I too am from Michigan, and heading to Cave Run again later this month. When are you going?
    We'll be at Tony's fishing the 29th and 30th.
    Todd
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cave Run Pig.JPG 
Views:	237 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	12924

Hey Todd,
    We're coming down April 13-16. I have family in Morehead so this is a yearly trip for me and my buddies. Forgive me but exactly where is Tony's? Sounds like something I'm missing out on! :-)
    Gary