www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Big Chip walleye rule change

Default Big Chip walleye rule change

Hi all,

In this weeks sawyer county record there is a article about different rule changes that are going to be proposed for the flowage and general fishing. I encourage everyone to look at this as they are asking the attendees if they favor a 14 inch min. on walleye and one total. The meeting is April 11th at 7 pm at the high school. Other issues include eliminating closure of archery deer season during the november firearm season. I think that would be fine as long as they wear orange. Another is legalizing the use of crossbows during archery season??? Dont know what to think about this one. There are pro and cons? There is also so other stuff on muskies about raising the min. to 40 inch. on all lakes. Any who it is nice to see that they are taking a interest in the chip and hopefully people will come out and support the propoed change.

How does everyone feel about this issue? I think they should change it but interested on what everyone thinks about the walleys on the chip. I am to new to the flowage so to have a solid judgement on it and am interested to hear what others think. Walleyemaxx any opions? You have fished this lake for 50+years as for only 2 1/2. I dont exactly know what it use to be like out on the flowage but have heard stories of how great the walleyes use to be.

Default Rule changes

Hi Josh,

I think you are confused a little on the proposed size limit change. The article says the DNR is asking for a one over 14" size limit. That means you can only have 1 Walleye over 14" in your possesion/day. If the bag limit is 3, than you can have 2 under 14" and 1 over 14". Or 3 under 14". The idea is to limit the harvest of the prime spawners. It's a size limit that has been used on many lakes in Vilas county very successfully. I personaly have fished a few lakes that have that size limit where it was very effective in saving the Walleye population.

I'm happy to see the DNR come up with something, and I think this regulation could help in a big way. This and taking the size limit off LM Bass so we can harvest 12"-13" LM bass. Those are the better eating ones.

The other regulationn that affects the Big Chip is a new rule to mandate the use of quick strike rigs when using any minnow over 10". Obviously a musky rule, and one that I would think most musky fishermen and women, would accept with open arms. The Big Chip is the best trophy Musky lake in this state. Good to see the DNR wanting to maintain that.

I'm going to go to the DNR meeting in Hayward on Monday the 11th Josh, If you want to go, We could meet up and take in the meeting and do some B.S.ing. Let me know.

Walleyemaxx
    Tom Christianson
    Professional Fishing Guide

Author The Walleyemaxx Systemhttp://www.walleyemaxx.com/pages/the...ystem-book.php.
    Web Site: http://www.walleyemaxx.com/
    E-Mail: walleyemaxx@yahoo.com
    Cell Phone: 715-617-0894
    Land line 715-945-2138-Radisson
    Tackle manufacture "American Traditions Fishing Tackle CO.LLC.www.americantraditionsfishingtackle.com.

I think you are right i saw the word "ONE" and got ahead of myself. So as of now the rule is two any size limit but they are proposing one of those two has to be under the 14 inches for the flowage. Is that right?

Default Rule

Hi Josh,

The rule will read as a 1 over 14", not a minimum of 14". As far as the bag limit, we won't know that until the tribes make their declarations. I would expect it to go to 3 this year, but we won't know for a while yet.

Let me know if you are going to the spring hearing in Hayward. I'll be there to vote on the proposal. You and every one who lives close should go to vote.

Walleyemaxx
    Tom Christianson

Author The Walleyemaxx Systemhttp://www.walleyemaxx.com/pages/the...ystem-book.php.
    Tackle manufacture "American Traditions Fishing Tackle CO.LLC.www.americantraditionsfishingtackle.com.

Quote Originally Posted by walleyemaxx View Post
    The article says the DNR is asking for a one over 14" size limit.
    That means you can only have 1 Walleye over 14" in your possesion/day.

If the bag limit is 3, than you can have 2 under 14" and 1 over 14". Or 3 under 14".
    Josh:

Reread the third line maxx wrote above... He has stated it perfectly!!! The confusing part is understanding that you may take the total daily bag limit from a lake under these regulations, but only one fish of the bag may be over 14".

Maxx:

From the above second line you say: "in your possession per day" which is right, but may be a little misleading by the use of "possession" rather than bag.

Otherwise all good stuff, my favorite lakes to fish, when I am looking to take some walleye home for the table are in fact these very lakes. Not in the case of the Chip right now, but in general these lakes fairly prolific just don't support great size in the population.

Mark

Default 'Bag'

Hi Mark,

Technically you are right. I was refering to being out in the boat and having more than 1 Walleye over 14" in your possesion. You can have two days bag for a possesion, but the others better not be in the boat with you. Hard to convince the game warden you caught half of those fish yesterday.

For many reasons that have been discussed before, the Big Chips Walleyes need some help. The Big Chip is a natural Walleye lake so I'm confident the Walleyes will recover quickly with just a little help. The other part of the equasion to help the Walleyes, is to quit over protecting the LM Bass. With allowing to let us harvest more LM Bass to reduce their numbers, we'll end up with not only a stable Walleye fishery, but an outstanding LM Bass fishery with more larger fish which is what most people want. And oh, by the way, Chippewa Flowage Walleyes are the best tasting Walleyes in the world. A LOT better than the canadian walleyes. I've been told by many people for many years, that very same statement.

Walleyemaxx
    Tom Christianson

Tom:

I understood you loud and clear...

In Oneida county they have proposal that includes making the 'eye size limit 18" and at the same time reducing the bass size limit. These items are both on the same question. On the same question I would vote no and ask them to bring the question back as two separate and then I would favor the bass question and still oppose the 'eye one.

While I am in favor of doing something to slow down the bass and their predation on YOY walleye, I am not in favor of increasing the 'eye size limit to 18", thus cropping off our supposedly best spawners. Now if some biologist told me that natural recruitment is 0%, then maybe that is a reasonable alternative, but if there is some spawning success, then I am much more in favor of some other slot limit that protects fish from 17"-25" or 26" or even larger on the top end!!! I would in fact like to see any lake that has a decent population and forage base, that currently has the 18" on to be changed to something similar to the WI River slot!!!

Mark

Default Limits

Hi Mark,

You'll have to go to the onieda meeting and bring that up. I like the way Minn. has theitr limits set. they are either slot limits or 1 over limits. I read about their success in saving Waleye populations that way. One such lake is Leech lake. it's Walleyes were really hurting, but the Minn. DNR has a slot of 17"-28" cannot be kept with 1 over that. It encourages keeping the smaller ones to eat and protects the spawners. leech now has a huge Walleye population. I can't recall ever seeing a min. size limit in Minn.

Mich. on the other hand has a blanket 15" size limit on all their lakes. It works on most of their lakes, but not on some. The lakes I have fished or read about, or talked to other peple about that have a 1 over 14" size limit, have come back with real strong populations of Walleyes. Of course, the other part of he equasion still is to stop over protecting the LM Bass.

Walleyemaxxx
    Tom Christianson

Tom:

I fished Leech for the first time last June. We were there just as the mayfly hatch was happening and the fish were transitioning to the main lake. Still without utilizing a guide (which we usually do for a first trip) we were able to pick up one guy a four fish limit of eaters. Nothing really big.

And we musky fished a fair amount and had great success with the northern pike and saw a couple of skies... I would in fact like to go back, but others want to go back to Canada.

Me personally, I want to spend time on Green Bay... why go out of state when we can support our in state brothers and fish some of the BEST multi-species water in North America!!!

Mark