www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: sawyer county

Default sawyer county

Two questions. Can anyone tell me if trolling will be allowed on all the lakes in Sawyer county or if some will be excluded?

Second question is if anyone knows if the size limit for walleyes on Sand Lake is subject to change. I am afraid that the 18 inch size limit is going to hurt this lake as there are huge numbers of fish in the 14 to 17 inch range. I feel as if these fish are never going to get bigger like they are almost in a stunted state. They are not getting bigger as the last 4 years have been the same result. Also I think the 18 inch limit forces a person to keep the 19-22 inch female that they otherwise would not because they would keep that 15 inch male which there are so many instead. You can very easily go out there and have 100 fish days with two or three people in the boat and not get one fish over 18 inches. I think a limit of 1 or 2 fish under 18 and 1 over 18 would be more suited for this lake. I am just hoping this reaches someone who would have a little pull on changing this. I have been fishing this lake for 30+ years and have seen its ups and downs and would like to see it managed well now that there are large numbers of fish in there. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Shorts,
    There will not be motor trolling on any new lakes this year in sawyer county as far as I know.

As for the walleye on Sand, I agree with you, it is a great walleye lake where you can catch huge numbers of fish, but none of legal size there, if you could even keep one under 18 I think it would be a good thing.

Good luck,
    Tanner Wildes
    Captain Tanner Wildes Guide Service
    Tanner Wildes
    Web Site: http://www.tannerwildes.com

Thanks for the info. As for Sand I am just afraid that they will run out of forage eventually. We used to catch a lot of small perch while slip bobber fishing for walleyes. Now most of the perch caught are pretty decent size. One just has to wonder if these last 4 or 5 years of huge numbers of walleyes are starting to run out of food although the fish there do seem healthy, but you can catch them any day of the week pretty much every part of the lake.