Those of us waiting for the hard water to melt and don't watch American Idol can only dream of those lazy summer days on the water. For the last three years I've really concentrated my efforts searching for Bass. I throw the big lures for Muskie when I need a change of pace. My true passion are those elusive Muskies. Many years of working out and bench pressing have left my shoulders in such a state that casting those 12" plugs takes it's toll after an hour or so. At that point I must retreat to my light duty rods and settle for bass fishing. With that said, I would like to share what I think are a few techniques I believe are most important........see if you agree .........
Take note my experience is only in the Mercer Area lakes. I use live bait as a last resort......... I prefer artificial lures as they are more fun. As a young boy in the late 50's and early 60's my dad made me fish with a cane pole and worms, I vowed when I got older I'de never use live bait again !!! Anyhow here's a few things I've learned................ Seems like early morning just after dawn and before 9:00 A.M. are the best times for bass. Chop or no chop doesn't seem to matter much. I use a Minnkota troller at silent speeds and work with the wind, picking a known productive shoreline drifting with the wind and adjusting with my troller. Prior to my "picked" shoreline I'll cut the power to my 50H.P. Merc and drift in to the targeted shoreline as quite as possible. Next, pour a cup of coffee and wait for the water to calm and the natural sounds to take over. I really like to work the lilly pads and shallow water at dawn, again being as quiet as can be. Also I wear dark clothing and avoid casting a shadow when possible. Believe it or not my Pontoon boat works best as it leaves a small "foot print" on the water and is very quiet while drifting along the shoreline. Quiet, Quiet, Quiet is the key here. The fish spook very easy in calm water if you make noise. Surface baits seem to work best for me. Rubber frogs, crawfish and small top water lures. Another old favorite is the gold weedless Johnson spoon. To be honest, that Johnson spoon has worked for me most of my life. If you are using scum frogs or rubber crawfish, cast them on or at least up to the lilly pads and wait for 10-20 seconds then begin twitching the lure back to the boat. Twitch and wait, twitch and wait....... take your time and be patient, you'll miss 50% of the strikes you get, but I garantee you'll get that water to boil !!! Again, quiet is the key, become part of the lake, not a noisey clinger and clanger and you'll see more action than you ever did !!!! ....... I'm far from an expert bass guy, but these are a few things I have learned over the years.

Kind Regards, Larry F.