www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Landing a fish

Default Landing a fish

Does anyone watch Musky Hunter or Fishing w/ Joe Bucher? Anyone notice how they land their fish? Not to take anything away from these guys, they have certainly caught more big fish than me, but who taught them how to land a fish? When they get the fish motionless on top of the water and lead it head first into the net I start clapping at the TV, but that is 1 in every 10 fish, and thats after they tryed to net it twice already. Usually the fish is down a foot or two, thrashing around, green as can be, trying to get away from the boat, and they are trying to net it. WHY? I understand they are trying to film a show, but cummon... that's really bad. I wonder how many fish they have lost doing this?

Common sense tells you, get the fish on top of the water under control, lead it head first. Am I wrong?

Thoughts?

You ae right about the head first netting. My guess, because I'm not in the boat while they were filming, is that they were excited and just went for it no matter where the fish was heading. It's kind of like tournament fishing. If you see an opportunity you just take it no matter what. Sometimes if you want a fish bad you don't wait for the fish to swim a certain direction but rather take the first chance you get. Doesn't always work. And when it doesn't you look pretty silly.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

it's because that clown fell into that TV show...watch all of his fishing mannerisms, all bad...No doubt he catches big fish, but he is going out with the top guides in the area and since they are promoting their resorts they want to put him on the biggest most aggressive fish to sell cabin rentals.

Landing a fish with your hand when you have a net right there...come on, and my biggest pet peeve is that it is a musky show that supports CPR (which I totally dig) but they never have explained how to handle a fish once it is in the net, from unhooking one to explaining that you might have to cut the hooks, they never measure the fish(on camera) or show a bump board so do they use the old "rope in the water and holy cow I caught myself a 52" tiger muskie that is complete bs more like 42", and now in the latest season he doesn't even care about his releases he just chucks the muskies back in the water, (LOL, I'm laughing at myself cuz I have so many opinions even though I watch the show 2 or 3 times before deleting it from my DVR cuz I love watching muskies get caught, except for the trolling episodes, come on buddy you are driving a boat around for an entire episode sheesh) but the advice on every show is, use every bait and fish every spot and if you see a fish on one spot camp that spot all day and you'll put a lot more muskies in your boat. Fish everywhere, with every lure...what a coach

Ever read his articles in the magazines? Use this reel, and that rod, and fish out of this resort. All sponsors. I can't even read them anymore, same thing every time.
    Last edited by Trav; 03-11-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Typo

Hey Mr. negative, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? You seem pretty grumpy in that post.

All joking aside, I'm not in the least bit in favor of the hand landing thing no matter what size. I'm not saying I haen't done it but it's definitely not safe. The smaller the fish the more dangerous. Last week I watched a guy filming a show on the fishing network in a kayak and he hand landed a bout a 42ish inch fish and then proceded to slam the hooks into his leg and then into his hand. We were sitting there going "holly cow he's going to..............yep, he just hooked himself". Kinda saw that one coming.

Have a nice day Snizzoreno,
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

Snizzoreno's...nice name for a pizza joint !

LOL, just had to vent my frustration with the show...i learn more from the guests...Love it though

Ty, are you fishing in the PMTT at Eagle River? Chooch and I are winning a trophy this time!

you know I will take the chance of losing a fish to get it landed quik do my CPR and move on I belive that the stress of the fish is far less and the fish will recover sooner I realy practice this inthe hot weather

I see your point about CPR, stress, and the fish swimming away faster. Do you think it's stressfull for the fish thrashing in the net with the bait in it's mouth - hooked up with the net? Of coarse this could possibly happen with a played out fish as well. I think the most important thing is to take a quick photo, and limit the time the fish is out of its element. Sometimes fish come into the net quickly for me, as long as they are on top of the water and I am leading them in the direction I want. If not, I play them out a bit more. I have never had a problem with them swimming away. Just my thoughts.

Gentlemen:

I would tend to believe that fish in the net will settle down just as fast or faster as the played out fish. Things are always going to happen to fish in the net. Hooks can be set in places that will kill a fish with out intent, fins will be split, slime taken off, net marks (x's) showing on the fish, etc. Not trying to be callous, but as with lots of things, too much of the Monday a.m. quarterback here I think... All the shows are advertising, some better at sneaking it in than others...

As in all things, there are good things and bad things, its best to evaluate and take the good things with ya!!!

Mark

I agree Mark. Just get the fish in the net and most of the time things go just fine. It's still just fishing though and to overthink the fact that you are ramming a big hook through a fish's face and expect nothing negative to ever happen just doesn't work. Try to play it safe and if something goes wrong make the most of the situation.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843