www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Alum Questions

Default Alum Questions

I've never fished Alum. Usually stickto Leesville and Piedmont, but I'm making a 3 day trip to fish there next weekend. Any advice? Casting vs. trolling? Thanks for any help!

Default Caster

I am a caster and typically have decent luck in the lower pool on shallow points and flats fishing rocks. I mostly use bucktails and crankbaits. White or Mustard has worked best for me. However I believe most of the guys troll and they seem to catch a lot more fish than I do. I also here the bass guys complaining about muskies coming off of all the laydowns and tearing up there spinnerbaits.

Default Alum Conditions

March is usually good for both casting and trolling options. I would normally have made a trip or two at this point, but the non-stop rain and flooding in the area has kept me off the lake thus far.

Not to discourage your trip, but the lake is a muddy mess. It is currently at 3.45' above summer pool and the shore is up in the trees in many areas. I snapped a few shots from the Cheshire ramp on my way home tonight that I'll attach. I also noticed some big timber and lots of crap floating in deep water as I came over the Cheshire causeway.

Be careful, and best of luck to you.

Rob VanGorder
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	March 2011 Flood (1).JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	12804   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	March 2011 Flood (2).JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	12805   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	March 2011 Flood (3).JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	12806  

Thanks for all the advice, but looks like I may just stay local and fish piedmont or saltfork. I'll make it to alum sometime.