www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Bow Mount Trolling motors on Jon Boats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bow Mount Trolling motors on Jon Boats

Ok. I think I talked myself into upgrading my trolling motor on my 14ft Jon. I'm hopin to be able to get a Minn Kota model that can use the i-Pilot. I'm tired of having to lean down and make adjustments on my current model. Not only am I losing boat control but it contributes to a sore back after a long day of fishing too. LOL

I have a deck installed on the bow of this boat too. So my question for you guys is do you have any advice/hints or tips for installing these things on a Jon? I just want to make sure that its gonna be possible and I know what I'm in for before making the purchase. Thanks.

Jay

Just a few considerations off the top of my head:

Keep the shaft length to a minimum or your TM head will be sticking out past the end of the deck when in the stowed position. 42" will likely be plenty long enough. I think I had a 36" on mine so I could fully deploy it. Having the TM sticking too far up can be a pain on fig-8 fish as well as providing something else for your fly-line to tangle up on.

Try to angle the TM when mounting it so the head is pulling the center of the boat when deployed, not offset on the side of the deck like many jons I see around here.

If you are worried about theft in your area, you may want to consider purchasing a quick release bracket so you can yank the TM off whenever you want.

Also, make sure to beef up the mounting hardware to the point of overkill. There is nothing more irritating than listening to the TM rattle and clink everytime you engage the motor. They do loosen up over time (via vibrations) if not secured properly.

I would purchase the largest motor available (I think the 55# thrust is still the max for 12v systems). If you have the luxury, go with a 24v system and never worry about windy days. If you are mounting the TM battery in the back of the boat, be sure to use the heaviest gauge wire possible to maximize battery life and performance.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Thanks Red!! Thats great info!

I'm kind of stuck goin the 12v route due to the mounting of my battery bracket under the front deck. I think the 55lbs thrust should be fine for that size boat and the fact that I mainly fish lakes. Plus, I've been gettin along ok with the 40 that I have now.

I am planning to get the quick release bracket too. I don't think the cover I have for it will cover the trolling motor if it was left on there.

I am planning on teaching myself to use a line stripping basket with the flyrod this year. So, that should help out a lot in terms of hopefully decreasing the amount of tangles I get.

I had Minn Kota send me the "foot print" of the mounting brackets so I can get a feel for how much deck space I'm gonna lose. I'm thinkin I should be good to go and ready start pounding the water as soon as its available!!

Jay,
    A few things to consider.

Last year, Minn Kota only made the (factory installed) I-Pilot motors in long shafts. If you want a shorter shaft, you will probably have to either buy the powerdrive V2 and then swap out the regular head for the I-Pilot head, or you will have to buy the longer shaft and break out the hacksaw.

Will you have access to all the bolts underneath the deck to which the motor/bracket will mount? If so, fastening properly will be easy. If not, it's a little tricky. I could only reach 2 of my bolts, so I had a guy drill holes and using a pop-rivet style threaded insert. If you need something like that, find somebody that has one to borrow, cause they're expensive and you'll probably only use it once.

Red mentioned about not having the TM head stick out past the side of the boat in the stowed position. Before you install, take the side panels off to get access to the bolt holes. keep the motor in the stowed position and turn it so that the head doesn't stick out past the boat. Clamp it down, then deploy the motor. Make sure it can fully deploy without hitting the boat. Once both conditions are satisfied, you can mark the holes and get down to business.

One more thing... If you go with the I-Pilot, I recommend getting a Ram stabilizer mount. I don't know if the vibration while driving does any damage to the motor head or not, but it sure makes me feel better.

lowbidder,

Thanks for that info too. You're right about that, at this time, Minn Kota only has the preinstalled i-pilot on the 54". I am going to purchase the 45 or 48 and install i-pilot separately. I talked to them on the phone today to get that straight.

I still have some logistics to figure out in terms of the deck setup I have on my boat. I might have to go the pop-rivet style route. I just want to make sure I get it set up properly on the first go around. Last thing I need is that thing popping off and sinking to the bottom of a lake!! LOL

Thanks again guys. This should be a nice little project for me to take up a little time until the lakes thaw around here!!

Jay

I installed a Terrova 80/US2/i-pilot on the bow last year. You might find that some of the mounting holes provided will extend over the deck once motor is aligned properly for your boat. I had to drill additional holes in the mounting foot. Not sure how it will work with the Q/R bracket. I chose not to use the Q/R bracket because it would much to easy to steal than trying to loosen 6 bolts that are hidden with lock nuts. I also was afraid it might rattle. Depending on the material of your bow, make sure you have enough meat there for the use of riv-nuts. I used thru bolts and backed up with aluminum plate and nyloc nuts. It was worth the extra effort getting under the bow deck. We came down river last year to Tidioute in the dark after loosing the jet. We just used the TM and hit every rock in the river. The shaft and mounting held up great. Hope you enjoy your new motor.