www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: 3-2-11 Evening report

Cool 3-2-11 Evening report

Set up by 4:00 south of Glastone again and didn't start marking anything until about 5:15 with the exception of what I'm assuming were a few perch. First marked fish came in fast and hit and ran. Was marking fish about every 10-15 minutes and would usually come in two at a time. My A game was off tonight and just couldn't hook up. Quite a few bump and runs. Lost one smaller fish half way up and by 6:45 it was all over. Went home skunked. Talked to a few others that were marking fish but all lookers except one 17 incher. Sounds like the previous evening bite. Couldn't figure out why my back was so sore last night, until I realized it was from my exotic Ice Dance Moves from the morning.
    Slammer!!!

P.S. Gonna post a new recipe in the fish recipe section for my new favorite fish preperation that's as good as it gets. Baked Walleye with Soffritto Butter!!! Can't wait to try it with Burbot.

Default slow

was set up by 2:30cst, had a flag before I got 2 tip-ups set up, dropped it, had 4 total, 0 fish, caught 2 perch jigging and had one good fish hit right before dark... marked most of the fish from 4:30 to 5:30cst,(maybe 5 or 6) that i thought were walleyes-- fishing upper bay, 34'

I am on the ice right now. I got set up by 7:30. I have mark several fish but nothing wants to bite. Had one bump and run. The rest have all been lookers. The wind is picking up now. I am going to pack it in. Next time maybe. (Hopefully!! ) its gotta happen one of these times!! Lol.
    Always better than a good day at work!!

I'm going off the Day's River access later this afternoon and trying shallow for perch. Might set up a tipup with a sucker minnow just for giggles. I'll give a report later tonight.

If you're out that way and see a silver van (stupid truck and its gaskets!!) and a red Eskimo Quickfish 3 (though I don't know yet if I can or will drive onto the ice), stop in and say hello.

Boy, I'm glad I decided to go try some new water last night. Sounds like you guys really stunk up the place off the harbor A buddy of mine that was out there also marked lots of fish, but only landed a couple dinks. I fished on the East Bank and marked fair numbers. I had a 15 minute furry of activity where I landed two walleyes that were right at 15 inches, lost one about 20 at the hole, and landed a 28 to 30 inch pike. Most of the fish were really negative until that 15 minute period, then everything that came in, bit. Got the walters on the #9 GHP Rap, and the esox on a #2 Glow Perch Shiver Minnow.

P.S. for Slammer. My friend said it took you like 10 minutes to drill one hole , (an exaggeration, I'm sure.) If you're running a Jiffy, bring in the blade and I can sharpen it up for you.
    CHRIS WAHL

Bay View Bait and Tackle Everything you need to fish the Bays de Noc.
    Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Best minnow counts on the bay.
    Voted best bait shop on Little Bay de Noc
    current hours - Every day 7 to 5
    http://baydenoc.com/bayviewsports/

Bay View Motel A great place to stay near the bay. Give them a call for room rates and availability http://www.bayview-motel.com

Caught enough perch tonight off the Day's River to keep it interesting (10 feet of water). A lot of dinks, but I did keep 8 worth cleaning. Wigglers were the hot bait. Also caught a couple on a small gold Pimple tipped with a minnow head.

Set up one tipup with a sucker minnow...had one flag...something ran off about 20 yards of line and chewed the bait up pretty good.

It's been a bit of dry spell for me lately, so I'll take it. Even the dink perch.

Cool Ol Blade Runner they call me!!!

Hey Chris,

Should be Blade Ruiner. Yeah, no exageration on your friends part. It was probably more like 12 minutes. Would have been faster burning a hole in the ice with a bic lighter. Have had that ol Eskimo auger for 23 years and bought it used. Starts on the 1st pull all the time and I put new blades on it when I bought it .....23 yrs ago. Have no clue what the hell happened to it , it worked just fine a few days earlier . I think it was just some really hard ice. LOL!!!
    Might have to break down and get a new blade and sharpen my point.
    Years ago when I lived in Wi. , we saw a guy trying to drill a hole for what seemed like forever and finally gave up. We went over to see if he wanted to borrow our auger and he was real thankfull and explained it was his first time ice fishing and didn't know what was wrong with his new auger. I didn't even look at his auger . While I'm showing the guy how mine works , my fishin buddy looks like he's having a seizure laughing his ass off. Finally he points to the guys auger and I see he still had the blade cover on. I laughed so hard I think I pooped a little.
    Anyways , thanks for the offer , but it's an Eskimo. Sorry your friend had to watch that. I was wondering how things were going on the east bank. You didn't miss much. Later!!!
    Slammer!!!

Question ice conditions

You guy's taking vehicles out on ice? I haven't been out in weeks and wondered about bringing my full size truck out. I know to butler island bad spot and the day's, saunder's caution areas, is the rest still good?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
    You guy's taking vehicles out on ice? I haven't been out in weeks and wondered about bringing my full size truck out. I know to butler island bad spot and the day's, saunder's caution areas, is the rest still good?
    Thanks
    Off the yellow gates, yes, driving is very good. Nearly two feet of good ice yet in the north bay. Haven't been off Gladstone in the last 10 days or so, though...I actually had our 2-wheel drive van out on the ice yesterday with zero issues (but if you're going to drive a vehicle like that use the Day's River yellow gate access, not the first yellow-gate road--that first road is a rutted mess).

But there are always bad spots no matter how favorable the weather and conditions. Like you mentioned, that spot off Butler's Island...Saunder's Point area.

Ive been driving on the ice by the gladstone yahtche harbor with my car. I have not had any issues. There is 20-24 inches of good ice. some snow drifts to watch out for but its easy to avoid.
    Always better than a good day at work!!