www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Rock n Rope

Default Rock n Rope

Time to start thinking about my needed upgrade(s).Can you educated peops please enlighten me on whats new re Hummingbird and Lowrance?I want about a medium sized unit(s).
    Most any semi-educated comments welcome.There,hows that for an opening?

All I can say is WOW. Hummingbird is ten times better than Lowrance. Let's start with...dependable, they work! Then you add-in down & side imaging and you go WOW...agian. Why did it take me this long to jump ships.

I've had Hummingbird since August of 2010 and have been VERY happy with both units. I have a 998 SI at the consol and a 788 in front. On the 998, you can split the screens to watch standard sonar, down image, side image and GPS. I have them linked together so the front unit sees all waypoint I place from the consol unit.

Had one issue and when I called customer support they were there to help and they did. We got-r-done, fast and effective.

Dick, I think the best way to show how GREAT Hummingbird is, is to show you in July. Hell, we have all week to study it. Let's meet at the dock.

Todd
    Forciers Fishing Guide Service
    Todd Forcier

E-Mail forciermusky@gmail.com
    Web Site: https://forcierfishing.com

Thanks Todd,sounds good but are you sure your offer isn't a ploy to try switch my Evinrude for your Yamaha?I'll likely act sooner,after deciding I need time to swindle a deal somewhere.

The humminbird definitely has that feature where you can tell the map what depth you want to be what shade of blue. Don't know about the Lowrance.

Sounds like no one is going to defend Lowrance.

Next question!

I don't think it's a big deal either way. They are both good. If I were starting from scratch, I would go with the Bird. If I already had substantial Lowrance equipment, I would stay with Lowrance. If you switch to Humminbird, you will need all new power cables, and transducers. A real pain if they are glued in. If you have the Lowrance blue connectors, you can utilize them with the HD. Also you can network your existing Lowrance equipment to your new stuff. With Hummingbird, you will need all new equipment.

Lowrance has turned over a new leaf with service. My last two calls got me a technician within a minute, and immediate resolution.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Web Site: http://www.baystorecamp.com

Would this be the appropriate time to ask 'what are power cables and transducers?'
    Perhaps the question suggests the ultimate answer.

A new age rock band????
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

You're thinking of 'Power Cable and The Transgenders'.By the way,rumor has it one of your favorites,'Sister Spit',is scheduled for a concert on Flag Island in April.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!! Sisssssttttttteeeeeeerrrrrrrrrsssssssss!!!!!

some point-by-point comparisons of the Lowrance HDS-5 and Humminbird 798

MSRP:
    HDS: $1298
    798: $1049 (winner)

Display:
    HDS: 5" 480x480 16-bit color TFT
    798: 5" 640x640 265 color TFT (winner)

Display options:
    HDS: 4-way split screen (winner)
    798: 3-way split screen

Sonar:
    HDS: 30000W peak-to-peak, 5000' depth (winner)
    798: 4000W peak-to-peak, 1500' depth

GPS:
    HDS: 16-channel, can pay extra to upgrade to 50-channel
    798: 50-channel standard (winner)

Waypoints:
    HDS: 5000 waypoints, can enter waypoints as icons (winner)
    798: 3000 waypoints, change waypoint icons manually

Mapping:
    both can use Lakemaster and Navionics
    HDS: n/a
    798: can highlight depth bands on Lakemaster (winner)

Side-imaging:
    HDS: "Structure Scan" 500' coverage, can waypoint distant objects
    798: "Side Imaging" 480' coverage, can waypoint distant objects

i ran both a Lowrance and a Bird in '07, then i switched completely to Humminbird in '08 and haven't looked back since. as Todd mentioned, they just plain work the way they should without messing around with multiple software "fixes" through the season.

most features are pretty comparable: awesome sonar detail, run the maps that you need, etc.
    i prefer the Humminbird's screen resolution, map display options, and lower price.
    i like the Lowrance's 4-way screen and ability to repeat icons.

there's a Humminbird 798 Side-Imaging unit in the Operation Muskie auction. you'd probably be able to get it for a smoking deal...
    http://www.operationmuskie.com/OM%20...read.php?t=196

Thanks Lambeau.I rarely fish over 1500 feet and I only have 3 spots and 'home' to mark so there's a couple categories I'm not too concerned with.

I am concerned about Uncle Franks point that if I switch,I'll need all new infrastructure though.Of course at my age,i have more serious infrastructure worries than those dealing with these units.

while you may be able to use the new Lowrance units on your current blue-cap cable systems, one of the big advantages of the new units by both brands is the ability to connect them with ethernet cables instead.

these ethernet connections allow you to share much more real-time data between the unit on your console and the one on the bow...including the sonar displays from the other unit, or the gps data from the other unit's antenna, etc... (ie., view the SI image from the back of your boat on your bow unit, view the 2d sonar reading from your bowmount on your back/console display, or view the gps location of the bow of your boat on the display in the back...think fishing/guiding from the back of the boat but knowing precisely what's going on under your trolling motor up front.)

if you're upgrading both bow and console units and want to take advantage of the ethernet advantages, you'll need to install a new network backbone with either brand.

in the case of the Humminbirds, these ethernet cables will/should be compatible with a Terrova iPilot in the near future. imagine being able to plot a route around a piece of structure on your gps map and then tell your trolling motor to drive that course all on it's own.

of course, if you have every spot on the lake memorized and you just need a small sonar to watch out for the rocks that moved over the winter, none of this probably matters anyway... ;-)

'Ethernet'????????????????????
    Unless its something new from Frabill I don't have a clue.

Did you mean 'euthanet'?That might be my remedy-euthanasia.

Maybe I can just tie the rock up front to the same rope connecting the rock in the back-depth linkage I can understand.

Blue connectors are for only the power and transducer connections. Which I'm not sure Dick has. His may be gray. Like his hair. The Ethernet connection only shares sonar data. The GPS function is shared from the NEMA network. All of which is common connectors. Or adapters available.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Walsh View Post
    Blue connectors are for only the power and transducer connections. Which I'm not sure Dick has. His may be gray. Like his hair. The Ethernet connection only shares sonar data. The GPS function is shared from the NEMA network. All of which is common connectors. Or adapters available.
    i'm not as solid on the Lowrances...are you saying you'd have to have both the ethernet and the NEMA network to share all the data? that seems redundant; is there an advantage that it offers?

i know that on the Humminbirds everything is shared over the ethernet connection, not just sonar. the ethernet connections transmit data much faster, which enables it to be shared in real time.
    you can view the sonar data (2d and SI) on any unit connected to the network. (though both units must be SI-capable to view it.)
    for the gps location, each unit still uses it's own chip/map, but you can use the gps data about your location from the other units. ie., display the location of the front of your boat on the rear display's map.

my new ride's ready to go, will pick it up in a few weeks after i get some concrete work done at the house.
    it'll include a sweeeet new 'Bird network. ;-)

Captain Nema?No,guess that was Captain Nemo.
    Doubt any of this will fly in my Starship.

Quote Originally Posted by dpear View Post
    Captain Nema?No,guess that was Captain Nemo.
    Doubt any of this will fly in my Starship.
    Do you still have that Lowrance with the 8-track player in it?

GO BIG RED!!

Whats an 8 track player?

it's this thingy that makes musicky.

about on par with a "rock and rope"...