www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fly fisherman?

Default Fly fisherman?

Any of you on this board a fly rod guy? I am taking it up just to add another presentation to my repertoire...

Just wondering if anyone has any tip/tricks/info about fly's on the chip.

thanks in advance!

I fly fish. Mostly for trout, a little for bass, and I have tried pike/musky. Are you completely new to fly fishing or just looking for advice for doing it for musky on the chip? If you are totally new to fly fishing, don't learn to cast with musky flies. They are really wind resistant and tough to cast. Learn the basics with something easy, then step it up. I have caught pike but not musky with flies on the chip. What has worked best for me are baitfish imitating streamers with long synthetic fibers or deer hair , like enrico pugalisi flies, lefty's decievers, or clouser minnows.

Thank you, yes I am completely new but, there is a trout and grouse a block from my work and they give lessons in this small pond right behind the store! so I am going to take a lesson or 2 before I actually start fly fishing. I also purchased "Muskie on the Fly" which is a pretty lengthy book so I am sure that is full of great info. I'm just wondering if people have success on the chip and some of the techniques they use.

I used to fly for musky. .....anyway, Spring is prolly the best time to try as the fish like smaller bait usually. Personally, I would fish backwater bay areas so you can practice on pike and bass at the same time. Once you feel confident, try those main lake points. it can be a deadly presentation after a cold front. I believe one guy caught 3 last year (or two) when noone on the lake caught any.

The thing to keep in mind is to put in your time. I tried it for only a year or two, never on main lake points or after a cold front. Caught several pike up to 30 inches, Bass up to 5 lbs., and had two muskies. One that was about 34 inches and one that caught my attention by taking down a full grown mallard duck!!! Tim caught that one casting in the next boat behind me....49" prolly 30-35 lbs

The duck came up like a big bobber and scurried off by the way.

Brad Bohen (sp?) guides for musky on the fly in the Hayward area, mostly on rivers but they do some flatwater fishing. Google muskycountry outfitters to get his contact info. He's got a dvd coming out soon which looks pretty sick.

I've tried off and on a few times but have only caught pike and a nice smallie so far. I use a 9wt, but if I had to start over I would go with a 10. I just switched from a 9wt weight forward floating line to the Airflow shooting head intermediate line (for streamers mostly).

Learn the double haul cast! It's an absolute must if you want any distance throwing the big flies.

Glad to hear you say that about the 10wt rod cuz that's what I got! I found a nice package deal from a guy in Oregon. Seems like a Sage is a good product to go with doing a little net research.

A good way to practice with that 10 weight is to make a little fly that looks like a mulberry, i drop it under a tree where carp are feeding and then game on