www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Allegheny Reservoir and upper River

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Allegheny Reservoir and upper River

I am a diehard fisherman or fisherwoman...however you want to put it. I grew up fishing for trout and the large pond we had on our farm. I have lievd in the area for about two years, but it wasn't until I chartered a trip in Waneta Lake that I became a musky lover. This year I plan of doing nothing but fishing for the toothy monsters. I am planning a trip to the Allegheny Reservoir and the Alleghany River this summer. Any info on making my trip worthwhile is greatly appreciated!! Is the upper river any good for fishing for musky?? Places to stay is another question I have, was looking to stay in a vacinity that is a close drive for both places!! Thanks again!!

Hey muskychick,

We were waiting for your arrival. I saw your post on the MHunter site.

As for places to stay around the Reservoir, there are plenty of campgrounds around the ANF as well as hotels and B and B's around Warren...it all depends on what you are looking for. The musky fishing on the Res is a low density fishery with state record potential. Many of the fish suspend there during the summer months so locating the thermocline (if one is present at the time) will help rule out unproductive water and maximize your trolling efficiency. Bay mouths, points, old creek channels or in the middle of nowhere can be key spots. Finding schools of baits will also help out, of course.

The river is much "easier" to contact fish. I assume when you say the "Upper Allegheny", you actually mean the river below the Kinzua Dam outflow. That section of river is actually the origin of the Middle Allegheny with the section that flows into the Reservoir being called the Upper Allegheny.

To access the Middle stretch, a jet boat would be great to have due to shallow shoals and free flowing channels. Running a boat without a jet drive is almost impossible but drifting in a canoe or kayak will work fine. If you check my "Preparation" page here on my site, you will see a few places to stay with phone numbers included.

Feel free to ask more questions as they arise.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I just went back over to MHunter site and saw that you were actually talking about the Upper Allegheny heading toward Salamanca. We have a guy or two on this site that fish that area from time to time. Access points are very sparse and can be very tricky to navigate even with a jet boat.

I will leave it up to the other guys to say what they want about this stretch as I have only fished it once and that was from shore in the Potato Creek area for big trout.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Muskychick you have a private message.
    Last edited by toothyfishman; 02-18-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typo

Musky chick I have never fished the area that Red is referring to but I highly sugest the section of river below the dam, it is a fantastic fishery IMO. Best of luck to you and your fishing endeavors, may your next one be your best one!

Default Thanks

Thanks fellas' for all the great information. Sorry about the Upper comment..I was referring to the areas above the Reservoir to Salamanca. I thinking about staying in the Alleghany State Park in the Red House area. I can not wait to get on the water, I'm dreaming of muskies everynight now that I found these great stretches of water. I'll be fishing by kayak bc I don't have a boat to use, so it'll be even more of an adventure. I've ordered some guide maps to help and plot out my invasion!!! I probably won't go below the dam, seem like a long driver from where I will be staying. Would love to find a great boat for some musky fishing, so if ya know of a good one send me some pics!! Love the forum I can talk fishing everyday, so I feel like I'm in the right place!!! Happy fishing and can't wait to get in yall's neck of the woods!!!!