www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Value of the Message Board

Default Value of the Message Board

As most of you who monitor the message board can perhaps guess, I enjoy the Witch Bay board. But, I thought I would share why I think the board really adds something to Camp. My group first found out about Witch Bay from this message board. We were planning at houseboat trip to LOTW in 2000, and we needed some fishing reports and information. It was our first trip to LOTW, and we were really starting from scratch. So, the information on the board was very helpful. On that trip, we were out "exploring" and were low on gas, so we stopped at Witch Bay to tank up. If not for the message board, we wouldn't have known about the camp, and wouldn't have stopped by. After meeting Steve and Gail, and seeing the camp, we've been coming back ever since. In additon, I've gotten to know some of the Witch Bay regulars as a result of the board. The information shared between these folks has been tremendous in helping use get to understand the lake. In 2009, a first time guest to Witch Bay read a few of my posts, and sent me a message, and we started exchanging information about Camp and LOTW. It turned out he and his fishing partner were in camp the same time my group was. Well, we shared information while in camp, had a few drinks and laughs together, and now we reguarly keep tabs with each other and our various musky fishing adventures. We've even tried to coordinate our future trips to Witch Bay. Earlier this week he and I were sitting in our respective offices n different cities looking at maps and talking spots over the phone while we should have been working. I won't be up at Camp until 6 months from now, but I'll be enjoying this message board until then. I hope others have find tthe board as enjoyable and useful. Thanks Gail and Steve for providing this forum for exchanging information.

Yep... I agree. Just wish there was a bit more participation by the camp pros. Since Wayne is gone the fishing reports are not near as frequent. Hopefully this year will have more info during the fishing season. Nothing better then getting on the forum and reading about fishing from the pros or from guests that spend time posting. Pictures are great too. Its a great way to get all of us excited about getting back into camp.

Default Never Stop Learning

I agree, Dave. This site is a valuable source of information that one can use to improve his/her chances when at WB. Our time in camp is too precious to waste learning what one could have learned at home by reading the posts. A few minutes every few days spent reading the posts can have you informed of water temps, water levels, weed growth, at what depths fish have been found, and on and on. All good info to have in mind when you step into the boat and head out on the lake. Many thanks to those who do take their time to write about their experiences and what they think will be useful info to those of us to follow. Let the fun begin.

Hi All:

I am the aforementioned contact that DaveB mentions and must say thanks to Dave and his roughneck bunch of friends and the entire WBC crew, we had an awesome experience when we were there! I'm glad we connected with them when we did and look to coordinate a return to Witch Bay with them again soon.

Dave's a great musky stick by the way...I'd take any bit of wisdom he shares here to heart. The man knows of which he speaks!!!

Jeff Sevcik

Default Too Few Replies

Dave B is 1000% right about the "potential" value of this board. However, I do fear that the registration and sign-in processes deter far too many "potential" contributors from doing so. Look at the first page of posts. Since last June, there have been well over 20,000 views, but 38 -- just 38 -- replies. We can't have a meaningful dialogue with that very limited number of people adding their commentary to this board. With some people posting replies to more than one thread or posting more than one reply to one thread, there may only be 25 people who have actually used this board. I know why Steve and Gail had to go to a more secure board, but it's a shame too many people have been "scared off" by it. I don't know what to do about it other than to encourage anyone who wants to "add their two cents worth" to register and let everyone share in the collective knowledge. Who knows, what might be worth two cents to one person might just be worth a whole nickel to someone else.

Default message board

I've been going to WB for about 11 years. I love going there each year and watch the board throughout the year, but especially watch it like a hawk the 2 or 3 weeks prior to coming. When people post I can at least have an idea of some kind of pattern prior to coming by just reading some of the posts. Thanks to all of you that post on the board!

I monitor this Board on a weekly basis most of the year, and then as a trip approaches, I start checking it every other day or earlier. I'm using looking for information such as water temps, weed development, weather trends, etc. I think one of the keys to really getting value out of the posts -- both those by the pros and the guests -- is to be able to read between the lines. I spend most of my time at Camp chasing muskies. So, I'm trying to figure out ahead of time what the muskies might be doing. You don't always get lots of muskie reports on the board. So, I'm looking to see what the walleye guys are doing. If the weedline bite in Witch Bay is still holding together, that tells me there is still lots of baitfish associated with deep weed edges. That's probably where muskies will be as well. If the walleye guys are already on main lake structures, I'm thinking the fish may be transitioning to rocks. If there are still big northerns (34" and better) being caught in the Hayfields, that tells me a lot about the water temps and the "progression" of the lake toward summer patterns. You get the idea. The great thing about LOTW is the lake is almost always offering the angler something. You just have to figure out what its offering, and the information on the message board helps me start sorting that out before I get to Camp so I can hopefully put the pieces together quicker once I'm on the water. Thanks to everybody who posts messages and information -- it helps me get ready for a trip, plus it helps me get through the rest of the year while I'm wishing I was at Camp.