www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: River ice??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default River ice??

We have a few spots on this section that are ice covered and a few "brave" souls have been ice fishing.

Is the lower section (Tionesta/Franklin and below) ice covered as well?? Do guys ice fish those lower section areas too??
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Those guys are nuts... last year I thought the wake from the boat was gonna send a few in the drink. brave indeed.

River here has been frozen over for a long time. It was open in Tidioute but after this cold snap it's freezing up again. Don't know about down below. I have seen in the past 1 guy that drilled holes off our boat ramp. I don't know if that's either stupid, crazy or both, lol.

Smile river rats

If you guys could see the walleye, monster browns and huge crappie those fellers pull through the ice you might think a lil different. Guys are even ice fishing the Congo this year, so I hear????? ;-)

Where are the crappies coming from?? Moving out of the Conewango and into the river during winter or have they always been there?

I have never seen crappie in the Warren section of river before.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

I've caught them out of the river up our way not often but when you find them there's usually quite a few.

Interesting. You learn something new everyday.

Unless they take a swipe at a 6-15 inch bait, I doubt I will ever see one.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Default 17.25" Crappie

Quote Originally Posted by Red Childress View Post
    Interesting. You learn something new everyday.

Unless they take a swipe at a 6-15 inch bait, I doubt I will ever see one.
    I was trolling for mushies w/ an old rapala husky (in the neighborhood of 6" with a thin profile) with a tail tied on in Lake Arthur. It was hit as I paused to put something away in my kayak. Grabbed the rod and caught a 17.25" White crappie. I kept it and later on I asked a boat to take a picture for me. They thought it was an out of season bass.

Default Crappies

We've been getting them in starbrick. Off the island and in the back waters between the dredge and the launch.

I never would've known either but my buddy get's annoyed with musky fishing he'd rather catch alot of fish quick but I'm trying to fix that....

Haha Red (wink-wink) I also know theres a very large musky frequenting that area. He's been seen on a regular basis comin in and feeding. I've went down a few times looking for him but no luck. as for catching bass trout walleye and pike it's a super hole right now.

Does anybody know if the river is still iced up between Tionesta and Oil City? I should be up that way next weekend for a few hours and wanted to scout some new (to me) water while I'm there if it's open.

Mike

Seen 3 boats out yesterday dodging the chunks in Tionesta. I haven't seen it today yet. Water is coming up fast with the rain we had !! River is up 2.5 ft and projected to go up 1 to 1.5 ft more. Probably pushed the rest of the ice right out i imagine. I'm heading out tomorrow if i can.

Update.....up 4ft here now....went out and checked the river.....lots of ice chunks and lots of debris !! Looks like the only place to go is the outflow down to the confluence.

Not seeing anymore chunks on my end but the discharge levels are going to increase this week. The Reservoir is rising by about 3-4 feet per 24 hours right now.

Tionesta Dam rose 9 feet yesterday and forecasted to rise 6 feet today.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress