www.lakegenevacannery.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: River ice??

Default River ice??

We have a few spots on this section that are ice covered and a few "brave" souls have been ice fishing.

Is the lower section (Tionesta/Franklin and below) ice covered as well?? Do guys ice fish those lower section areas too??
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Those guys are nuts... last year I thought the wake from the boat was gonna send a few in the drink. brave indeed.

River here has been frozen over for a long time. It was open in Tidioute but after this cold snap it's freezing up again. Don't know about down below. I have seen in the past 1 guy that drilled holes off our boat ramp. I don't know if that's either stupid, crazy or both, lol.

Smile river rats

If you guys could see the walleye, monster browns and huge crappie those fellers pull through the ice you might think a lil different. Guys are even ice fishing the Congo this year, so I hear????? ;-)

Where are the crappies coming from?? Moving out of the Conewango and into the river during winter or have they always been there?

I have never seen crappie in the Warren section of river before.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

I've caught them out of the river up our way not often but when you find them there's usually quite a few.

Interesting. You learn something new everyday.

Unless they take a swipe at a 6-15 inch bait, I doubt I will ever see one.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Default Crappies

We've been getting them in starbrick. Off the island and in the back waters between the dredge and the launch.

I never would've known either but my buddy get's annoyed with musky fishing he'd rather catch alot of fish quick but I'm trying to fix that....

Off subject, but thinking about fish not often seen. Has anyone ever seen or heard of any bowfin being caught out of the river in the warren area? About 5 years ago I was night fishing from the bank below the dam and pulled in a 29 inch bowfin.

I shot a bowfin by accident while carpin' in the river just up from Starbrick.
    I was bummed when I saw what it was.

The kittaning area has some side ice and had alot of slush today. Theres been a decent amount of ice throughout this winter that has came and went a few times with higher flows and the warmups.

The area that was mentioned which held the crappies also have a good population of bowfin. I caught my first bowfin in the area mentioned by Katami Kid so the answer is "yes" to seeing and catching bowfin in the river.

Talk about a pre-historic looking fish.......
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Since were talking about some fish you don't see often, has anyone caught a gar from the allegheny. I've heard of people catching them but I've never seen one personally.

I have seen them and caught 1 of them years ago. It smacked a Bomber Long-A Magnum. Awesome looking fish, IMO.

My guess is that most come from the Chautauqua area via Conewango and seek the warmest water (hint--hint) possible to inhabit.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Default Strange Fish

Anyone caught a Burbot yet???? Caught a few in the congo and one at the tail waters this year. Another awesome looking fish that's not often seen around here! The river is packed full of treasures!!!!

I very often run into the Longnose Gar in the Lower Allegheny, Pittsburgh Area. I also very often run into the Spotted Gar at Presque Isle. You can always tell when they're around because they travel in schools and you'll see their "beaks" breaking the surface.

heres a picture of a bowfin i got about 4 years ago outta the lower allegheny. First and only one i ever caught and a gar my buddy caught last year while we were fishing for cats. Believe it or not it actually hit a chunk of chicken liver. go figure

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Default Franklin South

From French Creek south through Franklin to Ajax the river channel has floating ice chunks but is open. The banks and eddies where the water slows is freezing/frozen. I was walking my dogs about 0700 Thursday morning near Ajax and saw a red Jetcraft buzzing around. I later found out it was a fire/rescue boat looking for a body... haven't heard any more about it. At sunset tonight the river appeared to be relatively clear of chunks, at least south of the first island south of the 8th Street (RT 322) bridge. the ice starts choking out navigable water as it gets to Kennerdell.

Haha Red (wink-wink) I also know theres a very large musky frequenting that area. He's been seen on a regular basis comin in and feeding. I've went down a few times looking for him but no luck. as for catching bass trout walleye and pike it's a super hole right now.

Default 17.25" Crappie

Quote Originally Posted by Red Childress View Post
    Interesting. You learn something new everyday.

Unless they take a swipe at a 6-15 inch bait, I doubt I will ever see one.
    I was trolling for mushies w/ an old rapala husky (in the neighborhood of 6" with a thin profile) with a tail tied on in Lake Arthur. It was hit as I paused to put something away in my kayak. Grabbed the rod and caught a 17.25" White crappie. I kept it and later on I asked a boat to take a picture for me. They thought it was an out of season bass.

There are a ton of gar in the lower pools on the Allegheny river. I see schools of close to 100 in the same place every year. I troll through them but never had no musky action near them. If you never caught one they stink. We use to catch them all day using a small treble and minnie with no weight. It been years since I fished for them after I caught the Musky bug!!!

I see gar on the Mon too. I tried to hit one last year while bowfishing for carp. They are VERY hard to hit with the twigmaster.

After the next 3 days of warming temps and showers, the river should loosen up a little.....might be some decent fishing opportunities early next week.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Starbrick area still iced up Red? Thinking of Saturday.

Thanks,

Ralph

I have not seen that area since 12/30. Since the outflow levels are low and the Reservoir levels only rising a tenth of a foot per day (as of today), I am going to say it may still be locked up. A good rain today or tomorrow should loosen it up.

I will make a call today and see what is happening and get back to you.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

The outflow was bumped up today as well as a main tributary rising and flushing ice this morning. My very strong guess is that you will have open water anywhere in the Warren area. I spoke with Mark last nite and he is itching to get on the water, BTW.

As I drive home today from work, I will look at the Conewango again and if I need to revise this post, I will by 5pm tonite.

Good Luck!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Does anybody know if the river is still iced up between Tionesta and Oil City? I should be up that way next weekend for a few hours and wanted to scout some new (to me) water while I'm there if it's open.

Mike

River levels were reported in the Post Gazette as high as 10' in Franklin over the weekend so I guess ice was washed out.

I saw plenty of floating ice in the 3 Rivers area over the past several days and Kinzua doubled her outflow as well. The river should be pretty clear by now.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 02-28-2011 at 09:52 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

I can guarantee there is no river ice up this way. We have ourselves a huge thaw going on with thunder/lightning last nite and this morning. Rain and 49 degrees!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Seen 3 boats out yesterday dodging the chunks in Tionesta. I haven't seen it today yet. Water is coming up fast with the rain we had !! River is up 2.5 ft and projected to go up 1 to 1.5 ft more. Probably pushed the rest of the ice right out i imagine. I'm heading out tomorrow if i can.

Update.....up 4ft here now....went out and checked the river.....lots of ice chunks and lots of debris !! Looks like the only place to go is the outflow down to the confluence.

Not seeing anymore chunks on my end but the discharge levels are going to increase this week. The Reservoir is rising by about 3-4 feet per 24 hours right now.

Tionesta Dam rose 9 feet yesterday and forecasted to rise 6 feet today.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Big water on the way. Kinzua issued a river warning today as the flows will rise several feet over the course of the day today.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast