www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Club Tournaments

Question Club Tournaments

The LSMC hosts two club tournaments a year, I am trying to figure out why we have had such a poor tournout over the past few years, especially in the spring event. With all the members out there as well as points towards the IMTT I don't get it.

Default Fishing

I would say it is because of the tough fishing and the lack of larger fish. I fished both of the fall tournaments out there; your club tourney and the IMTT tourney. In the 1st tourney 3 fish were caught and the 2 day IMTT tourney 10 fish were caught out of 60 fisherman.
    In total, I spent four weekends on Shelbyville this fall and I can say the fishing was very tough all but 1 day. Also, my boat partner got a nice 46"er the first weekend but of the other 8 fish we caught only 1 fish was over 40" and most of the other were low 30's. I believe this, along with the economic downturn, and expenses of travel, lodging, etc. is the blame.
    Also, I believe your May tournament is scheduled for Saturday, May 21st? IMO a 1-day tournament should be held on Sunday. With a Saturday tournament, a potential angler would either a) have to take off work to pre-fish or b)go fish a tournament without pre-fishing. For a small time tournament I believe most people would not take off work, and I know I would never fish a tournament without any prefishing time.

Esox - thanks for the feedback, This is the first year that I can remember that any of the one day club tournaments are being held on a Saturday. It will be a change of pace and hopefully we get a better turn out than we have had over the past few years. Last year the youth tournament was on Sat and the club tourney was on Sunday so it was a fun 2 days out on the water. Spring and fall bite on Shelbyville are so different that I feel that those that only limit themselves to the fall tourneys looking for the trophy lunker will be disapointed as it is a great musky fishery all year long.

Default Lake Shelbyville

Shelbyville has always been tough in the spring Because of the water going up and down fast its aways been hit or miss the end of May & June is best. The fall in the past Has always been awesome. But the last few years the lake has take a hit. Because we had high water the last 3 years in a row. And Because the dam has been open for long periods of time. The best fishing is when the dam is closed and the water is rising.

Amen......nick. Got walleyes to catch in may anyway. Muskies can wait till September.

Default Tournament Info

Hey Guys,
    I was on your website and couldn't find any info on the 2011 upcoming tournaments. I know the dates and the registration form are up on the IMTT website. What about the tournament rules? Are they the same as 2010? And how much are the payouts?

I ask all this because our club (Midwest Musky Club) and our club house host the Village Sportsmen's Club are planning an outing to Shelbyville the weekend of May 20, 21 & 22. And I, being a member of both clubs and Luck have it your hosting an IMTT sanctioned tournament that Saturday I'm in. So I'm also trying to rally some of the members of both clubs to enter your tournament. Most of the VSC members will crappie fiish but there a couple of converts I'm working on. And I'm hoping for a few MMC members to enter also.

As far as your comments here regarding your tournaments I think whenever your hold one it's hit or miss as far as the time of year and are the fish going to be on! And Weather can be a factor at anytime.

I actually like the fact that you are having the one day tournament on Saturday. As was said if someone works Saturday how do they pre-fish for Sunday anyway? For me it works out better. I get down to Shelbyville Friday. Maybe fish if I get down early enough. Fish the touranment Saturday. Party down Saturday night and I can leave early Sunday to go home. I have a 3 hour ride home.

Can't wait to start fishing!

John Sutton
    MMC/VSC