www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Lets talk wind

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wind

Usually I like to fish spots a certain way, based on structure, and depth. I do not like casting into the wind, and cross wind is better but I like to have the wind at my back somewhat. It's difficult to cast into the wind, plus I feel the bait does not work as well, especially topwaters.

If the wind is intense I may have to fish a spot a few times. I might make a few drifts giving the trolling motor a couple hits to keep the boat straight. The only problem with this is a following fish. If this happens I finish the drift and set up again. One fish stayed right where it dropped off, so I set up the drift farther back each time. It came three times before it hit. If it is a really big fish, I will point the boat into the wind and hold it.

I think on the first day of wind after a couple calm days the fish really stack up on the windblown edge of Pete's. After a couple days of wind from the same direction I don't think location is as important on Pete's. That's when I try to target the fish that haven't got pressure on the leeward side.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

I have always drifted and fished with the wind. It wasn't until I purchased an actual fishing rig, (Alumacraft 165), that I actually started to use the trolling motor in conjunction with the wind to position the boat. I have caught tigers, regular musky, and big pike using this method.