www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Deep Jerkbaits

Default Deep Jerkbaits

Need some advice guys- Looking for something to work deeper weed edges this year, crankbaits are fine but I love to use jerkbaits(which usually run shallower). Any thoughts whats best? Most cranks/twitchbaits are very buoyant- Does anyone weigh them to suspend? Love Gliders too- Are there gliders for deeper water?
    Thanks!

Phantom makes a deep running glider

Big Wood Musky Lures is the only company that carries the Deep Wood Phantoms to my knowledge. I believe they're discontinued and just selling what the have left. They have 6" and 7-1/2" but the color selection was very small the last I checked. If you want them I suggest you stock up.

For me deeper jerkbaits my go to is bulldawgs they produce spring, summer and fall. I have suicks and bobbies that are weighted and they will add 2 to 4ft of dive to each bait depending on how they are weighted and worked. I think its somewhat difficult to get a glide bait that weighted to sink well and still perform properly with good action.

Try Hoosier hand made Baits/muskie lures! He makes some nice baits for both deep and shallow presentations!

Brian

I agree with ARK regarding the loss of lateral action when using deeper glide baits. Smitty Baits (if my memory serves me) makes a 6 and 8 inch drop belly glider that will sink like a rock and give you an erratic lateral and vertical movement on the retrieve. The Sand Cat by Big Fork Lures will get you down several feet as far as 'true' jerkbaits are concerned.

When I was experimenting with homeade weighted leaders last Spring, I really liked the Hellhound with a 1/2 oz to 1 oz. weight attached. The new 10" Hellhound weighs 11 oz. and I am looking forward to playing with this bait on a weighted leader this year. Pushing the rubber core sinkers closer to the nose of the bait kept most of the gliders (Manta, Hellhound, Freestyler) from fouling on a 200lb. flouro-leader......just something to think about if you cannot find a sinking glide bait you like, maybe try adding weight to your leader.

When using these side to side gliders on weighted leaders, I kept my rod tip just above the surface (and sometimes under the water) to enhance the side to side movement while keeping the bait from popping up too shallow during the retrieve.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 01-24-2011 at 01:46 PM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Looking forward to the longer Hellhounds and Phantoms. Red October Tubes with the jerkbait jig could be worked deeper. I have only tried the 7-1/2" Ninja to date. I'll be trying the 10" Monster this season. The Ninja has a fairly slow sink rate for how heavy it is, and it you can work it really slowly.

I use phantoms alot and using the normal phantoms I will let them sink and start a very slow retrieve this time of year and I mean VERY slow, it helps keep the bait down as well as triggering strikes. I've had strikes while their sinking too so be ready. The 6'' curly tails do the best this time of year, and you will catch alot of nice pike doing this as well.

I'm not sure what you consider deep, but a 6" Leo jerkbait runs pretty deep. They are the deepest running jerkbait I've thrown. I'm guessing they will get about 6' down.

I like to run a few deep jerks down the edges hers a few I like to use

10 inch weighted suick
    9 inch big daddy
    10 inch big woody
    6 inch leo
    suzy sucker
    bull dawgs

Lance McFeely

The Wabull gets down there pretty well too.

Big Daddy can get to 6-8 feet deep depending on the length of pulls and angle of the tail. Has a nice wobble on the rise too.