www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Weekend Report

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Weekend Report

First off, an explanation. I spent a lot of time chasing fish this weekend, but was unable to post immediate results. When I tried, I received a message saying something like: "unable to access the requested site". I live out in the country. My internet provider is a satellite dish and is the only option I have. Makes no difference how I feel about their service, it is the only provider available at this time. In many cases I cannot post same day results. That being the case, I will summarize Friday morning through Sunday evening results.

On all trips, I stopped at Bay View for small suckers, 2" minnows, 3" shiners, waxies, spikes, wigglers, and occasionally, perch minnows. If I was chasing perch I bought mostly smaller baits, and if I was after walleyes I got mainly larger baits. Usually there is enough length variation among minnows to cover both bases.

As for general areas, I spent time fishing between Kipling and Yellow Gate South, and I also went out from the Terrace area, heading both north and south from there. Some of my fishing was from permanent shacks and some portable - fishing with friends or sometimes alone.

In general, I continued to catch perch north, but had to go through lots of small fish for each keeper. I did not see as many walleyes and pike on camera (on the north end) this weekend as I did previously. I find this somewhat perplexing since the number of small perch I saw would make me think there would be lots of predators around to feed on them. Having said that, I supose a well fed pike or walleye does not roam around as much, and would be less likely to show up on camera. I can tell you that I saw walleyes from 26" to 30" caught off Yellow Gate during Feb.2010 in depths of 7' to 10' up in the weedbeds with tip-ups baited with small suckers. Most anglers would not look for action that shallow during that time of year.

We caught a few walleyes south, but found no consistency. Long stretches without bites were common, but honestly, moving around on Saturday with the wind, was not comfortable fishing. Setting up a shack in that wind was almost impossible. I did not search like I usually do. The conditions reminded me of cold weather survival training I experienced in Alaska in the 60's when I was in the military. (I'm not sure why I was sent there, since I'm a Viet Nam Vet, but who's complaining - Alaska is somewhat comfortable and familiar for a Yooper.)

At this point (Sunday night), I am planning to start another search Monday before sunrise. I'll post some thoughts after my time on the ice.

Thumbs down not much luck

was out this afternoon with my daughter... 9 flags, no fish... couple of nibbles on the jig poles... nice to get out, just wish she could have caught a fish or 2...

My son had hockey all weekend, so I was watching ice of a different variety...I appreciate reading the updates (no matter what the outcome) that folks provide the rest of us landlubbers.

Thumbs up Nice report...

Thanks for the report of your weekend "on da ice". Appreciate it when someone takes the time to summarize their fishing experience.

Cool Somethings gotta change!!!

Hey,

Had relatives up this last weekend and fished Fri. eve, Sat and Sun till noon.
    Worst weekend of fishing I've seen for a long time. Fished 16-22 ft of water with 5 people and ended up with a few dinks, a few small perch, and a mud puppy. The week before , it was a very good spot for perch and walleye.
    We did mark fish , (lots of walleye and perch) but almost all lookers and no takers no matter what ya tried. How about that wind on Sat, wow, not too easy to move around. Can't get much worse , at least for me!!!
    Slammer!!!