www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: underwater lights

Question underwater lights

Just seeing if anyone has any experience using the underwater lights. I just picked one up to try. I'm figuring I'll probably scare away more fish than ill attract but wanted to see if I could extend my time that I can get fish to bight. And to add its green in color.

Did u buy it local? Or order it online? Im in the market for one.......smelt and crappie fishing is what I want one for

Bass pro shop. 20 dollars for a 21 inch halogen tube and about 15 feet of wire. I was wondering how walleye perch and Pike will react to it. We shall see tonight.

rockbass Guest

I'm interested to see if it works out for you. Good luck let us know.

I wouldn't use it for walleye......as far as I know walleye don't like light

Smile

not to disagree about walleye being light sensitive, but it might work. not to attract walleye but to attract baitfish. walleyes are not vampires, so my thinking is that if there is enough baitfish, the eyes wont mind a little light down there. just a thought

Good point. Ya never know unless u try! Im guessing it will attract baitfish but scare the walleye away. Just my opinion.....I hope im wrong for his trip sake.

Default I have one too...

I have a 'bait light' also but have never used it below the ice nor in the great lakes...used it a couple times on inland lakes at night and attracted a ton of bugs but didn't increase our catch noticably.

yeah it will be interesting to see. maybe its just another gimmick eh?

I know they work well for smelt....heard they attract crappie too. I've seen pictures of people catching smelt in there holes the light attracts them so well the schools of smelt are right below the ice. I hear the light attracts plankton which the smelt eat. Have read some good stories of schools of crappie under the shack with a submersible light on....also hear good success with crappie candles. Basically a green glow stick u attach to your line above your bait

Well no luck tonight. Just tried it on a local lake in fishing in the shallows. Going to try it again tomorrow night in some deeper wafer. Bite was good today until about 530. If at first you don't succeed you should probably stop before you make an idiotic yourself but we wont quit yet. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by nordberg View Post
    Just seeing if anyone has any experience using the underwater lights. I just picked one up to try. I'm figuring I'll probably scare away more fish than ill attract but wanted to see if I could extend my time that I can get fish to bight. And to add its green in color.
    I used an underwater light on my camera one time and the girlfriend got mad. The wife would to if she knew. Nordberg, sounds a like sugar beater name. Best thing you could do is keep fishing them carp down in the Saginaw river area. Suppose you got a generator to run it too. So much for quiet time in the great north. Gonna have to move further in the woods I guess.

Sounds like your going to have to move to smaller town where guys like me and our generators don't bother you.

I already live in the country for a reason. Hope ya don't come by me with that generator unless you have the coffee pot hooked up. What ever happened to just going out and fishin with a pole, dab of bait and beer? I think if ya get about 10 or 12 of them high tech fish corraling lights ya could make like a horse shoe and when the fish get trapped between the lights they'll go blind. then all ya have to do is belly snag them or let them snag themselves on a trot line strung between the lights.

I think your on to something. I'm sorry if I offended you. I didn't mean to invite light. People have been night fishing crappie and smelt for years with just an old kerosene lantern. I'm just trying a 20 dollar light. So take your row boat with no fish finder and your horse and buggy, and get off the internet.

nom nom nom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	popcorn.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	12481  

It don't matter. That switchback won't get you to the fish are anyway.

Funny Guy.

We don't need this petty bickering back and forth here on this forum. Take it somewhere else.....!!!

tomjohn
    When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish that too!

Nordberg, figure it out yet ?