www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Weekend from hell

Default Weekend from hell

Started out saturday kipling with 45mph gusts clam flip shack zipper breaks so wind howled through that didnt mark a fish. Stayed in cottage saturday afternoon slept and drank. Sunday mornin got up to 4 degrees no shanty might i add Cold about 300 yrds str8 out of kipling had two walters up to hole between the two of us but i was jigging for the perch below us and the hook was too small so the 18+ incher got off at the hole. Marked tons of fish big to small 3 keepers. Was gonna come home today but yesterday was a better plan. Stopped by the baitshop guys place and dropped a 120 bux and the kind lady let my 7yr old nephew keep a depth finder for free. They will get my buisness for now on!!! be back up in 2 wks next time with a fourwheeler and a popup shanty never will i buy a flip shack again. Also the minnows i got from baitshop was awsome 1 dead minnow all weekend!!

hey..... beats workin'! hehe

anything beats workn

Watched 2 guys try to put up a frabiil pop up on sat in 30mph winds. After they slid along the ice for a while they decided it wasn't worth it to set up. On clear ice with no snow and that much wind I don't think a pop up would've been any better.

I run a pop up.......I drill my holes and put in my ice anchors then pop up the shack one side at a time anchoring each side as I go. id invest in some anchors. They do wonders. Especially on glare ice with no snow to bank up around the shack

Yeah, you gotta anchor that thing down BEFORE you pop it up! I'm imagine on those really windy days a feller could position himself on the other side of the bay and pick up some free shanties

I have a clam 2000 popup. There is nothing wrong with it but it takes longer to setup and start fishing and it sucks when its windy. I'd rather have the flip over style. Plus you can haul all your gear in the sled of the flip over style

Isn't the clam 2000 a old school plastic floor pop up with absolutely nothing to put snow on around it to hold it in place? I've got the 13'6L x 7'6W x 80"H clam command post. Ive got a system to where I can set it up in a couple minutes in 30 mph winds

Default Explain system

Hey Big Arn,
    Could you please explain your system to me? I have a 6 X 12 hub shelter and I could use your advice.
    Thanks,
    Lloyd

I drill my fishing holes and base where I need to put my anchors off them on the upwind side.....or u can use an end upwind.(mine has 2 hubs on each side and one on each end) knowing where u need to run your anchors off your holes are the key....I allways put my anchor a little further away rather then being to close seeing the ropes are plenty long enough. Then I position my shack and pop a hub and anchor it on the upwind side. Then u can pop up the rest of the hubs. Position the shack exactly where u want it and anchor whatever is necessary. If there is snow in the area I shovel snow around the flap and usually only run 1 or 2 anchors in some pretty serious wind. If no snow ill use 4 anchors then I will use a little slush and freeze the flap to the ice without over doing it and not being able to take the shack home without a ice spud....lol. in super serious wind ill anchor each hub as I pop them out and fine tune the ropes when its set up. Its all trial and error......I just found a system that works great for me. Hope this helps ya!

Thanks,
    That's helpful.
    Lloyd