www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: 2010 season is over....time to reflect and discuss

Default 2010 season is over....time to reflect and discuss

So the 2010 season is over....time to put some thoughts down on how it went, what you tried and had success with, what you didn't have success with, what products you found to be great, those that were not so great, big fish caught, pretty much anything about the 2010 season that we can discuss to get us through this cold winter!!!!!

For me 2010 was my best year ever, both in big fish and numbers of fish boated. I was lucky enough to put 36 fish over 50 inches in the net this year, which to me is a huge accomplishment due to the amouth of time I spend on 50+ inch waters. Not nearly as much I would like to!!! LOL!!!!! It was so awesome to watch the folks I get to fish with blast so many giants. It really was unreal. My best big fish day was one in which we saw 4 fish over 50 inches hit the net....3 by 11:30 in the morning and another later in the day....and we lost another one over 50 right by the boat....what an amazing day.

As far as gear goes, I used the Shimano Calcutta 400 LJV this season and LOVE THEM. Best reel I have ever used, by far. Still love my regular Calcutta TE's, but the LJV's are even better. In my opinion, best reel on the market.

I have also made the switch to Stealth Tackle's 150 pound flouro leaders. I used to use the 130's, and never had a problem, but since the 150 lb leaders are barely any thicker, I made the switch just for more comfort. Great leaders with zero failures since I started using flouro several years ago.

I also got to use the new Double Dawg from Musky Innovations starting early this fall...gonna be a must have bait.

Filming went well....the musky gods were shinning down on Saric and I on our two shoots. Looking foward to seeing them air this winter....our spring shoot was good, nothing REALLY REALLY big, but it will be an awesome show. Our November shoot was SUPER COLD and SUPER windy...but alot of big fish caught.

Rubber baits once again dominated my fishing season. Dawgs, Pounders, Medussa's, Tubes, Red October tubes, etc....those that fish with me, know how much I love throwing rubber...fish just can't leave it alone!!!! The Shadillac did pretty decent as well. Lots of nice fish caught on them throughout the season. The new show colors are pretty sick...be sure to check them out this winter!!!!

Ok...so your turn...what was good, bad, awesome, rewarding, highlights, lowlights of your 2010 season????
    Mike Hulbert's Musky Guide Service
    E-mail: info@mikehulbert.com
    Web Site: http://www.mikehulbert.com

419-553-6570

Release 'em all

this was my first year as a musky fisherman, inexperience was the main reason why i didn't get my fish... but that's a different story

Good: learned a LOT about muskies, i'm ready to tackle next season. had a great time fishing with my dad on our boat, and with mike on his boat. got the nickname "Weed Magnet" (not sure if that should be under the good... haha) rod of choice: mike's 9-footer. reel: i need a different one.

Bad: no fish.. no fish... no fish. but that's what keeps me coming back

looking forward to the Chicago Musky Show, and next season.
    Best Regards,
    -Trent Moskwinski

Default L. Arndt

Highs:
    1) We had our best summer trip ever to Minnesota. I caught my personal best - a 52.5" beast (see attached pic). We also boated beautiful 44" and 42" muskies. My son landed his personal best northern of 40" and a lot of other nice pike. I believe we have a hot summer pattern figured out to catch these rascals.
    2) My new personal best friend, besides my son, is a rainbow-colored showgirl, what a fish catching machine!!!
    3) I made Muskie Hunter's Lure Doctor page in the Dec/Jan 2010 issue.
    4) We became much more versatile as muskie fisherman by doing more vertical jigging and trolling.
    5) I have a new bottom-bouncing technique, but need more time to experiment with it.

Lows:
    1) Totally struck out when fishing for fall Indiana muskie. Got me baffled as we had caught many muskies in the 20 through 30lb. class range each fall before 2009. Since 2009 things have changed dramatically. Wish I could put my finger on why!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02966.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	12334