www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Ice Conditions

Default Ice Conditions

I've been getting a bunch of inquiries about the lake conditions. Some guys looking for open water for the last shot at a big musky and others wanting to set tip-ups. Guess I would say we're kind of in a transition period right now. A very few lakes you can still launch at but losing those fast. I think as of yesterday you could still get on the Twins, Plum, Trout, Big St. Germain, and maybe a few others. Ice is forming up on most of the other lakes and although they look like a sheet of ice it's pretty darn thin. Too thin for a big galoot like me to try to walk on. I'd give it at least a few days if yer a skinny feller and longer if yer a hoss. You may be able to find some safe ice somewhere but let's face it. The fish will wait a few days for safetys sake. Mentioned on my Facebook page that I sold some guys shiners yesterday and felt like I sold a gun to a guy who just got off the suicide hotline. It ain't worth the hazard guys.

Pete Stoltman Regular Fishin' Regular Guys
    www.rfrgoutdoors.com
    rfrgoutdoors2@gmail.com
    (715) 614-4142

Pete:

There is always those little lakes that those guys are going to hit... I am going to try to check one tomorrow and if its not ready, then I am going home to watch the Packers & Badger basketball!!! Had hoped to get back down to the Miss. R. to duck hunt again, but a little bit of the male honey-do list needs to be attended to, now that its real close. Snow blower on the tractor and the quansit hut for the boat and then ice fishing or grouse!!! Maybe back down to try the ducks next weekend!!!

Mark

Main body of Minocqua looked glazed over as I was driving to the Musky Shop this morning. Not much wind last night and cold temps so I'd guess a lot of lakes have at least a sheet of ice covering the main basins. Some of the big lakes would be the exception.

www.rfrgoutdoors.com
    rfrgoutdoors2@gmail.com
    (715) 614-4142

Plum was glazing over as I left last night and I would guess that Big Saint's launch will be frozen today as it was already glazing over last Saturday. Ended up with only a few scared suckers... Sadly my muskie season is done. It was tough fishing in 20 degree temps the last 2 times I was out as my line froze the minute it was out of the water. Any solutions to this problem/ I have heard people spray their line with cooking oil or silicon spray but do any of these last. I would think these would wash off after a while.

I'll have to ask Mat Hegy if he had any results with those. We talked about it recently on the RFRG Show. My guess is that it would help some but once you get below freezing it may be a losing game any way you look at it. Could switch to mono which would repel water better than braid.

www.rfrgoutdoors.com
    rfrgoutdoors2@gmail.com
    (715) 614-4142