www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: have some questions about building an Ice shack?

Default have some questions about building an Ice shack?

I am making my first ice shack and I have some questions. First of all I plan on making it 8x10, is this going to be too big? I am planning on using 2-4x4's for the runners, and then using 2x4's and ply for the flooring, then using 2x2's for the framing, and then using 1/4" ply for the exterior, is this all going to be too much weight or should I be using some diff materials? One last question is there a lot of problems leaving your shack unattended out there, I mean I will have a lock on the door but is there any problems with break ins? I wont really leave nothing really valuable like my auger or anything but just like the heater and poles and stuff. thanks in advance for any helpful info.

I have made my recent shack all out of cedar. Because of the lighter weight i can load it and move it by myself. I have had a 6x8 out of treated runners and 2x2 studs with pole barn siding and wow way to heavy. So if you have 2-3 guys with you everytime you should be ok. 4x4s for the runners i think will be to low to the ice for pulling it in snow. Every year there is break-ins out there and you always have to block up the shack so it doesnt freeze in. I never leave anything in my shack and keep it locked. I know some guys keep their vexilars and everything else out there sometimes. If i were you id make it lightweight and not to big for your trailer. I have had better luck with 2 hole shacks.
    JB Lures Field Staff Member
    Team Vexilar Member

Default A Thought

I've never owned one, been in a bunch of other folks' shacks, some pretty simple, some pretty elaborate. One suggestion I have is to consider not having built in seats. Always uncomfortable, sore back, neck and butt, take up lots of room, always in the same exact spot. I'd make the spots for holes however you like, and leave the rest empty so you can use the fold-up canvas chairs. Way more comfortable, put them how you want them for fishing, only set up the number you need according to how many people are fishing. Hang them on the wall when not using them. Also less likely to fall out of if you doze off, I tested this part deer hunting.

Or better yet...Go to the For Sale topic and buy the shack I have for sale.
    When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish that too!

Smile

Im thinking your going to have to have about 10 guys with you when you are going to have to load it up or even to move it........my idea would be to use tin for siding,2x6 for runners,and then puts some teflon on the ski's, half inch ply wood for floor and 2x4s for floor...the tin you can buy at Adex Industries in Escanaba, and 2x2 for the walls or even 1x2's.......good luck it wont be long before we are out there....

Default runners

I agree.
    The runners need to be atleast 2x6... 2x8 would be a bit better but not needed. Mine has 6" skis and will plow snow when we have it.. just haven't had any for the last 2 years.
    I used 2x2's for the frame... then pink foam board. (or blue if you go to 41 lumber) the one inch stuff makes the shack super ridgid when you get it between studs nice and tight. With the tin described from andex on the outside you have a nice light shack for pretty cheap. Even on those cold A** days your'll be nice and toasty.. don't forget a vented heater... Spend the extra cash and vent that puppy... no worries of going to sleep and not wakin up!

Default Shack shot

here is a picture of the frame of my shack. Its only 4x8 but may give you some ideas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shackshot.jpg 
Views:	500 
Size:	191.6 KB 
ID:	12251  

Thumbs up

I would definetly use cedar. I did not with mine but I used thin paneling over the 2x2s and then wrapped the outside with metal from Andex. Kept the overall weight down but I wish it was a little lighter. As far as the runners, I have had good luck using a 2x10 or 12, then using a 2x4 on the bottom end attatching them with 1/2 inch plywood to each side to give it a little more height.

Just a quick question , I see that you guys are talkin about tin from andex in escanaba . Im in the process right now converting a 6 1/2 x 12 foot camper trailer into a shack. i have the floor and walls done , was gonna metal side but was lookin quite expensive at menards , so was gonna put house siding on , but now I here you guys talkin about tin from andex. Im lookin at around 220 sq foot . Is the tin you guys are talkin about more then metal siding from menards or cheaper? at menards its roughly 2$ a sq feet.

It has been a couple years since I purchased some. I believe they are about 2x3 foot sheets. If I had to guess it was around 3 or 5 dollars a piece.