Well after 2 years its finally happened, I qualified for a buck tag by shooting an anterless deer in one of the many the cwd areas in this state{77b} it was a nubby. The only things i will appologize for is having to do so, and forcing my 16 yr old to pass 140 class deer. we've passed up very very few does in the last couple years refusing to shoot them when deer numbers are at a all time low in our areas. the last 2 years we've hunted for a spike with less than 3" antlers or said nubby buck. AND THERE ARE DARN FEW....
I went in to register it at a local registration station and was informed by a couple of local loafers { there picking up extra cwd tags for the upcomming gun season} i shouldn't have shot a nubby as these are the bucks of the future. {this after hearing one of them comment he has 4 active buck tags} I asked him how many of his were nubbys? and he puffed out his chest proudly and said "none, they were all adult does" I asked him if he was in a contest to see who could accumuliate the most buck tags. Then I asked him if he felt good about killing all these does when the numbers are so low. His reply astounded me. "If i dont shoot them someone else will" Its this kind of thinking that will keep deer numbers low in already overshot areas. You don't need more than 1 buck tag in any given year, how many deer can you eat? No one subsitance hunts anymore.
PLEASE LEAVE THE DOES ALONE, THEY PRODUCE THE DEER OF THE FUTURE WITHOUT DOES THERE ARE NO DEER....SHOOT NUBBYS