www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Tribute to Mark Fort

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tribute to Mark Fort

It’s hard to believe its been eight years. About this time every year I like to post a tribute to a very dear friend, Mark Fort. As most of you long time viewers may know Mark lost his life out on the Flowage.

The date Friday, November 29, 2002, day after Thanksgiving. The hunting season was late that year, opening day was the 23rd. It was a cold fall and there was good ice by the first part of that week. Mark was on the big water a couple times during the week and did very good on the walleyes. That Friday after Thanksgiving, Mark went out on the big water ice fishing by himself and never came back.

Looks like there will not be any ice during this year’s deer hunting season. This last weekend the water temperature was in the low 30’s. The long range forcast is going to be somewhat warm, with a mix of snow and rain. Next week it is going to cool down a little, but not enough to make ice. We’ll be hunting the islands by boat or maybe cast for that lunker.

Please be very careful this coming ice fishing season,
    The Tiny Fisherman...<*){{{{><

So sorry for your loss. Not only is your post a nice tribute to a friend, but also an important reminder to all winter sports enthusiasts. Sometimes the excitement of the "hunt" clouds our good judgement, and your post reminds us to stop and think. I waterfowl hunt near those waters, and tried to go out in my canoe last week, but turned back after 50 feet or so due to high winds. After all of the morning prep, it's hard to "abort-mission"--but sometimes common sense kicks you in the ass! Thank God for that...

Joe

Tiny:

Again thank you for the reminder of the passing of your good friend. God Speed to all of his friends and family during this week. While most of us are lucky to pursue our passion in this nasty stuff and are lucky enough to have some of the creature comforts not afforded to our predecessors, we should alway remember that that cold water is not forgiving at any time.

Always remember to carry a life jacket and fish with another friend. Even shallow spots that can be good still can be killers. Whether you hit your noggin and become unconscious or get stuck in the muck once you fall through, not having help close by... well the outcome will not be good.

To all in the upcoming outdoors sports, Be safe, have good luck and think before you drink!!!

Mark

Thanks for the reminder Tiny. I didn't know Mark, but do know he was lucky to have a freind like you.
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Nice tribute Tiny--I see your postings every year about ths time and it is a good reminder for us all who fish / snowmobile / hike or whatever on the lakes to always remember to use caution. I guess you can never be too Safe. Mark was lucky to have agood friend like you. To Mark Forts family I wish them the best especially around this time of the year as I am sure it brings a pain to their heart as the date draws near. God Bless

Default Not the place, but...

Tiny:

You have mail in here or call me at 715-892-6926.

Mark