Once again this year I'll be guiding for walleyes and crappies here on the St. Louis River. Ice conditions are leaps and bounds ahead of last season. Early cold temps have set the stage for a foot of fantastic clear ice. Four Wheeler and snowmobile travel is possible nearly all over the river. Note. the river is never completely safe there are always spots that are not safe so be safe! Cost will be $175 for a half day morning or night for two people, includes use of my shacks, electronics, heaters, rods, lures and baits.

Now for the fishing report, walleyes are steady but not crazy yet. Limits of fish are coming everyday with a few really big fish thrown in the mix. Over the past week with some of the extreme wind, temps and a wild barometer, eyes have been more picky. Marking lots of fish and getting the fish we need. 5-10 ft of water seems to be the key deeps depending on the cloud cover. Jigs in blue, white and silver have been good for me tipped with a minnow head. Main thing is trying to stay away from all the people that are lurking around. Mornings are the best for that because of the darkness, guys that don't have a lot of commons sense seem to think that groups of shacks attract fish. There is nothing worst than setting up by 2:00pm, catch a few fish waiting for primetime to have some knuckle head drive up on a four wheeler and start ripping holes at 4:30pm. But enough of that. There does seem to be enough walleyes in from Lake Superior to make it worth while to start banging around and start to have a few fish frys along with the chance of a good fish.

Pete Brzezinski
Northland Walleye Ice Adventures
(715)574-1813