www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Walker Bay Water Temps / Turnover.

Default Walker Bay Water Temps / Turnover.

Hi Murph, or anyone else.

Any update on the water temps and if turnover has happened yet?

Thanks!

Default Temps

Fished the big lake today and the temps averaged 52 degrees. Walker Bay is may be a bit warmer. I am sure the Bay has turned over, caught a walleye this week end in 75 feet of water. The big lake does not turn over.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com

why were you fishing over 75' of water?

Default Deep fish

Many, many years ago while trolling for suspended muskies I noticed a lot of fish on the bottom in deeper water. Dropped a heavy jig and minnow and started catching walleyes. Now after turnover I target these fish on occasion. Caught a 46 inch muskie last fall while walleye fishing in 70 feet of water on the bottom. After turnover fish can and do go deep, depending on the bait fish.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com

Nice, I always thaught it would be fun pulling in a big eye from the deep.

On another note, I read from a different forum that it can be very hard on walleyes bringing them up from such a depth. I have no experience on this and quite frankly dont have a dog in that fight. (it got pretty heated on the other forum)
    Im just wondering how your past experiences have resulted in this?
    Im guessing that if the lake has turned your pulling them out of warmer water from the deep into cold water at the surface, And because of that it doesnt effect them.
    I think the other forum was about pulling lathargic cold water eyes from the deep to warm water resulting in death even on a catch and release.

I dont know if there is any truth to any of this, and wondered what the difference would be in say ice fishing at depths.