www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: October 19 Report

Default October 19 Report

The last week has been rather strange for muskies. Some lakes have produced very well, while others have been very slow. Keep your trailer hubs greased because you need to change lakes sometimes and the angler that keeps on top of things will benefit.

Some muskies were coming out of shallow weeds over the weekend. Suckers with bobbers were the way to keep presentations in the right depth without getting snagged. Also found some fish using rocks in 8 to 18 feet of water near steep breaks. A few fish were also contacted along the deep weed edge.

Had a difficult time getting strikes on artificials, but still had some following fish on Suicks and Joe's Live action lures.

Water temps are in the 52 to 57 degree range right now. Signs of turnover can be seen on some deeper lakes and the green film at the surface is rather nasty in some spots. Be ready to move around if you see the real bad green stuff at the surface. Another lake may be a better choice.

The sucker situation is a bit tough these days. Most bait shops are getting some, but the good supply that we get in the fall in a normal year is not happening. It pays to call around and see who has what for bait.

Look to be out the next several days. Will update later.

Ken
    Ken Jackson's Guide Service
    Web Site: http://www.kenjacksonguide.com

Is the sucker situation getting better? If baitstore owners could go out and trap their bait as it used to be/should be; this would not be the situation.
    Yet North I will travel 350 miles to fufill the dream of catching a monster Musky as I do every Nov. and instead I'll be searching for suckers. Who would have ever thought that regulating bait in such a way would effect people who rely on suckers to make a living; like bait stores owners and guides. What about us poor working class suckers who scrape together a little time off and a little cash just to spend it up there fishing for the fish of a life time. I will rise to the challenge and search high and low and every bait store or creek if I must for 14-18 inch suckers. Fore I am a Musky fisherman and will not give in to adversity. Then again; maybe this will just be a drinkin trip. LOL! And Ray make sure you lock up Rob and Kens secret stash of premium grade suckers nice and tight. I hear them racoons been rustln around back. See yas soon! Joe

I come up every weekend and have had to struggle to find decent sized suckers. My suggestion would be to compile a list of bait stores and start calling on your way up. You might have to start looking at bait stores as far south as Antigo or Stevens Point. Bring a cooler with an aerator and keep them cool for the ride. They will last. I have 3 electric aerators and 2 battery powered ones. I know they have some that plug into a cigarette lighter for the ride. Some vehicles have an electrical outlet now so you may not need that adapter.

I bought a 47 gallon tupperware crate that I keep my supply alive in once I get up north. I buy them when they are available so I have them when I need them.

Default I did find some suckers

Sure they were $9.00 each; and priceless as you can see from the results.
    Talk about coming up for a fish of a lifetime. Released of course! 46" 30lb plus
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	joewebmusky1.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	12143  

Did you say 46"? That's one FAT 46! Congratulations!