www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Musky history Tank lake

Default Musky history Tank lake

It was 1964 late July on Grand Portage (Tank) lake. The early morning fog was thick and the wind was non-existent. We fished the south shore from Turtle creek to the large submerged rock at the narrow part of the main body. I was using a yellow globe with silver spots, my dad was using a yellow bucktail, and Al Gilbertson was casting a black Suick. From 6:30 a.m. till 6:45 a.m. we landed 3 Muskies ........ two for dad, one for Al and of course none for me. Those were the days prior to the catch and release
    mindset we have today. I'll never forget that morning, we were in seventh heaven !!! ............ We were without electronics, or fancy Japanese outboards. Our little 7 1/2 hp. Evinrude and a pack of pall-mall cigarettes were the luxuries that morning !!! ........ I think we even entered my dad's fish (38") in the weekly contest at the Mercer hardware store. The store had a big chest freezer out front with every body's prize fish on display. Back then 31" and over were legal............ I'm telling ya, those were the days !!!!! ..........Larry

Default I was there too, in July '64

I could catch 5 (limit) eyes in a couple hours everyday on the TFF.
    Lures or bait didn't matter. Big brother riuned fishing when they gave up to the Indian tribes. Sad. I thought we were ALL Americans on this land.

Default Good Old Days

I was there too in '64. I had bought my own motor so I could rent my own boat. I mostly fished with my dad and brother, but not always as I liked to cast and my dad loved to soak minnows. If I fished with him and I hooked into a snag, he wouldn't move the boat to try and free my bait until he went a certain length of time without a bite. So I'd bring several rods, and once they were all hooked up, I'd sit there until he decided to move.

So with my own motor, I was free to cast and go where I wanted. The problem. It was a 6.5 hp Elgin long shaft. The gas tank was on top of the motor. A typical trip from O'Meara's (before Idle Shores) to the Lake Ten area was 50 minutes, and a tank refill of gas near the dam, and possibly only 2 shear pins (I kept shear pins taped to the motor for fast access).

But man oh man, did I catch the fish, and most days I wouldn't see another soul. Very few guys ventured past the dam back then. It was so bad, they had a rope with a loop tied in it rather then an anchor on the lodge boats. Why risk losing an anchor with thousands of logs to loop your rope over?

It was a fun time to be on the TFF as it was really wild. Some mornings or nights I would hear wolfs howling. I know there are more wolfs in Wisconsin now than in the 60's, but it goes to show how wild the area was (and still is). With only a small population of wolfs in Wisconsin, yet they were in that area.

Default 1963 on the Flowage

Hello Don H. and others. I have a nice 8x10 b&w photo of me with stringer full of walleye's from a trip to the Flowage in 1963 .......... We started out at Popko's resort and went from there. At that time there was tons of stumps, trees and log jams. The order of the day was to fish walleye with large night crawlers hooked though the girth and tie up to a stump or tree, drop a line and jig for several minutes. If no action, we'de move to the next stump till we hit the jackpot. As boy of 12 I was in awe of the Flambeau flowage as it seemed larger than the Pacific to me. Hwy. FF was a very rough and curvy firelane looking road barely passable in some spots. seemed it took over 45 minutes to reach Popko's from hwy. 51 ......... I can only imagine what it was like prior to that time. We stayed at Art Krueger's resort on Grand Portage in Mercer, with an annual trek to the Flowage every year. Art sold the resort to the McCoys in 1970. Does anyone out there remember Art Krueger ??? He owned the resort from 1953-1970. Larry

Unfortunately I'm not old enough to have fished it back then, but my grandparents tell me stories of how great the fishing was many years ago. Nice to hear mention of Popko's Resort, as Joe Popko is my great grandpa. I have a couple pictures of him that I cherish.

Default Pictures

Hi Frog Caster:

I used to catch frogs and use them for bait on the TFF for musky. Have a 2nd line out with a bobber and a frog while I was casting. Caught a couple, but nothing of any bragging size. Did have a nice bite once and only the head of the frog came back. Cut off like the fish had shears.

Anyway, the fact you have pictures intrigues me. I also have pictures, but only of someone holding fish or a stringer of fish. What I'm hoping to run across are pictures of how the TFF looked back then with all the logs and hazards sticking out of the water. I tell the guys in our group how it was back then and I'm sure they believe me, but they still really have no idea. Some pictures would really be nice.

I remember taking a buddy up there about 1983 with our families. The first morning we headed out from O'Meara's and I'm telling this guy I know the TFF like the back of my hand. Then I proceeded to hit a submerged log and shear a pin and we had only traveled about 500', and that was in 1983. Imagine how it was 20 years or more before that!

Don,

I have sent you the old pictures from the 50's and 60's. I have not thought about the drive on ff for a long time. We came from the other direction on F in Butternut then to FF then to Als place and Donners, etc.

Many Many logs in those days and thats the way everyone fished. But fishing is very good right now so no complaints. Looking forward to next spring with the lake full of water again.

We would dip crawlers and minnows as the earlier post mentions but JBS into the logs was the ticket. Every resort sold them and every guide used them, and every bait shop carried them. You could fish the whole trip with just the one lure.

PAul

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

Paul,

Would you be so kind and post the pictures on this board for us all to see. It would be greatly appreciated.

www.flambeaauvista.com

Default 1903 TFF Movie

Greetings to All,

For those of you with high speed web connections, the DNR has posted on their TFF web page a 17 minute silent movie taken in 1930. Click on the link below, then scroll down to another link called "1930 Silent Film" that will start the movie.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/facilitie...u/history.html

Also, don't forget about the "Flowage Photo's" web site put together 2-3 years back with some good historical photo's. Here is a link:

http://www.flowagephotos.com/Home.html

Tight Lines,

Tom502

Default Way back when

You guys are making tears in my eyes. The days of Al and Millie Weseman in Al's Place, Mary Downey right across the road, Earl and Elsie Tomek in the Old Log Inn ("Scotty, bring up another case of Kugel!"), Popkos, Donner's Bay, Gawlitta's trout farm (the little kids loved it!), going down the river in Ed Robinson's green, flat-bottom rowboats, stump dunkin' Gene Netzel style on the Flowage or using a June Bug Spinner and a mud minnow for walleyes, musky size limit of 30" (season opened on the same day as walleyes) and a five-fish limit for the "eyes." And, back in the 60's using anything over a 15 hp engine was considered to be a death wish! The Flowage was quite a bit more wicked back then, and smallmouth bass were certainly a rarity.

Hey, 50 years from now THESE will be "the good old days." Sobering thought.

Musky Mauler

Default old times

I really wish I could have been on the waters way back when.... I remember fishing the tff just 20 years ago and the person in the front of the boat when the motor was running was always looking for stumps and the the seemingly unending supply of "floaters" which are quite rare now. Anybody remember the old days of Art Schmidts musky camp out of Hiawatha?

Default Art Smidt's Musky lodge

Hello Muskeye, I'm almost sure it was called Art Schmidt's Musky Lodge. My father and I stayed there on a long weekend way back when. Then Dick and Florence Amos bought the place. They had a son named Dwayne who was a friend of mine down here in Kenosha. The Amos family owned the Hiawatha Tavern in Sturtevant, Wisconsin (Racine county)......... hence the name Hiawatha resort. I'm guessing Dick and Flo owned the place from circa 1970 till maybe the early eighties. Regards, The frog caster.

Default Hiawatha resort

Does anyone have pictures of the hiawatha resort in its heydays.My son-in -laws brother now owns the old Hiawatha property.I would love to see what it looked like before its demise.Any info/pictures or storys would be greatly apprieciated.

Default Fishing the TFF in the 60's

The last owners names were Jack and Bobbie ????? Jack works for Shane and Mollie at the Midway bar. He can tell you stories about The Hiawatha
    resort that will keep you in stitches.
    To the great grandson of Joe Popko,---- He used to take me to bonnies mound and we would limit out before we got there using a nitecrawler and thumping logs. He had a deaf son who also guided back then------ they were wonderful people. The nwxt best guide I had was Joe Gullem------- what an honor to have been fishing with these two men on the TFF and Ed Robinson on the river. I'm 70 years old now and still go there twice a year from Iowa.
    tom n.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Joe, as he passed away shortly after I was born. My favorite story is when he was in his later years he was at the dentist and was asked how he was doing. He just leaned back and with a big grin said "I've caught a lot of walleye."

Ever have any run-ins with any of his other children?

It is a shame that things have changed so much on the Flambeau... Today I tell my kids (now in their 20's) how good the fishing was back in the 70s. They get tired of hearing the stories and not catching any fish. I can only imagine how good it was in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Although still primitive in areas, she (The TFF) just doesn't have the same sparkle or hauntingly beautiful passageways it did in her early days. Gone are the osprey in front of our cabin... (the DNR moved them and took down the tall timber years ago... why? who the heck knows.) On a different note, I sure am getting tired of paying $20 a year for a fishing license only to have Native Americans take all the walleye during spring spearing. Hopefully, one day, the tribes will tire of the ritual that is now more intended to piss off the white man than it is to carry out their ethnic tradition...if it really was one to begin with. Enough grousing. The Flowage is still a beautiful piece of property for the public to enjoy... if nothing else.

Default Art Krueger

Frog Caster,

Art & Amy Krueger were a part of my life growing up in Reedsburg, WI and vacationing in Mercer every June from 1964 to the late 1970's. My family started vacationing in Mercer at Krueger's Resort when I was 5 years old until I graduated from high school in 1978. My father was a physical education teacher in Reedsburg and the first weekend after school was out every year we headed to Mercer for a week at Krueger's Resort. Art grew up in the Reedsburg area and graduated from high school in Reedsburg. I occasionally see a picture of Art in the school trophy case or the local news paper. I don't recall what sport(s) he excelled at. I'll take another look the next time I'm at the high school. He met and married Amy in the Reedsburg area. Art passed away at the age of 70 on June 7, 1981. His son, Major John B Krueger preceded him in death on 9/9/80. Art was very proud of his son and Art took the death of his son very hard. I believe John was in his early 40's when he died of a heart attack. Amy passed away at the age of 98 on 2/17/06. I worked one summer with Art at the local canning plant back in 1979 or 1980.

I recall Art taking us on a number of trips to Wilson Lake for pan fish, but not to the TFF. Whenever it rained Art always gave my brother and I a candy bar to bail out all of the boats. My parents were always greeted by Art, upon arrival, with an old fashion. I remember that we always had a weenie roast in the club house at the end of the week. I believe that John caught the musky that was hanging above the club house door. I think catching a legal musky back then was a bigger deal than it is today. I remember Art was always on the move fixing something at the resort and maybe a little grumpy at times, but we always looked forward to talking with Art in the club house. Did Art ever show you the slot machines that he had hidden in the storage shed? Those were probably from the Capone days. My mother always liked the old kerosene lamps that Art had at the resort. Art gave her one at some point. It now sits in my living room. I still make it up to the Mercer area 2-3 times a year and spend most of my fishing time on the TFF.

Brian

Default Krueger's Resort

Hello Brian,

You are the first to reply regarding Art And Amy's resort on Grand Portage
    lake in Mercer. I don't remember those slot machines. You are correct, that was John's muskie on the wall. Remember the little fawn in the glass box near the fireplace in the club house ? ......... We became friends with the Owen Lasallette family from Reedsburg. Owen had daughters Rene and Genelle, we had lots of fun with them at Art's resort......... maybe you know the family. We spent a week at Art and Amy's every year from 1958-1969 always the last week in July, so you and I never crossed paths......... or did we ????? ..... in the late 1970's I serviced the Reedsburg
    canning co. when Bill Shoer was manager/owner. I worked for American Can (still do) back then and remember Art was working there during the summer of 1979-80. My contact at the cannery was a tuff old guy named Art Waldo ....... maybe you remember him too. Also worked in the boiler room with an old timer named Elmer Wishman..... I'm born and raised in Kenosha, with a second home on Mercer Lake on Hwy. 51 across from Subway (red house). If you ever have time, stop by and we'll trade stories.
    I still have a lot of Art's Muskie lures he gave me...... they were hanging in the back room of the boat house.......... Also, you wrote a very nice post and I was amazed at your great memory !!! nice reply........ and I hope we cross paths someday ...........I got the name "frog caster" because my Bro-in-law "made fun" of the rubber "scum frogs" I use for bass......... one morning I was boiling water all over the lake, next day he had several new one's in his tackle box, and never said another demeaning word about those frogs !!!!! Regards, Larry

Larry,

I remember that fawn in the glass box. I wonder where that went or if it was destroyed when the building collapsed. I had heard that the building collapsed one winter from too much snow on the roof. Is that correct? I remember a few years ago there was nothing left but the beautiful stone fireplace and the small back room (That’s still standing). Do you know if the fireplace was hauled off somewhere or destroyed?

I have heard of the Lasallette name in the Reedsburg area, but do not know any of them. I think they were a few years ahead of me in school.

We were always the first or second week of June, so we probably never met. Although we have probably crossed paths at the ACP.

I live about 100 yards from Bill Shoer’s place. We both live in the Lake Virginia area just east of Reedsburg. I see him frequently, but don’t talk to him very often. My brother Dave worked for Art Waldo maintaining the fillers at the cannery. At the time everyone called the place “The Pea Hole”…you know because they canned peas and corn. I believe they only can corn now. At the time the place was in financial trouble. I remember times where we were almost out of cans and wondering if we were going to be working the next day or off for the rest of the summer.

I remember Art’s musky lures hanging in the back room of the boat house. I might try to talk you out of one of those the next time I’m in town. It would look nice next to the kerosene lantern Art gave my mother. I’m planning on the week of May 21 – 28 again next year. I’ll let you know when I’m in the area.

Brian

There are some great stories with this thread--always like to hear about the old days of MERCER--We began coming up in 1970 when my parents bought a cabin on mercer lake ( right across from the old Bottle gas Bldg on 51). I only remember the resort when the McCoys owned it as we somehow became friends with them--I think it was when they were actually selling RUPP snowmobiles also as I know my father purchased a couple from them. I still visit the area 1-2 times a year and last time on Grand Portage I remember that the old fireplace was still standing---was in that Bldg many times as a Kid as I would go over there and fish off the piers when my father was over that way BSing. Great Memories that is for sure.

Default Hiawatha

My family frequented the Hiawatha from the 1970's to the end. Had a camper on the property, and rented cabins often. The lodge was awesome. I'll see if my parents have any photos. One of my best memories is Bobbie Campbell paying my brother and I to crush cans from the bar/lodge. A real shame it's gone. I see a few of the still existing cabins are up for sale, pretty rough shape though.

I am not sure how to post the pictures. However, If you or Blue or someone who is more computer savvy sends me an email, I can send them to you on a disk. There are pictures from the Al's place cabins and the old Al's boats were made of wood not aluminum. Als later became Fort Flambeau but it was Al's probably until the late 60's or early 70's.

Do not have as many of the log jam pics as I would like but I do have a few. Have several pics of the campsite from the 50's and 60's. Our family was very proud when "our" campsite was listed on the map in the early 70's because no one used it prior to that. In the late 60's and early 70's others used our site as well and we would leave some of the gear on the island. I remember one time in particular when our live well (wooden frame with chicken wire, then rocks thrown in to keep it down) was in really bad shape. So the next spring we brought new wire and wood for repairs. But when we went to the tree where the gear was hidden we found that other campers had already repaired it. We also found tables and grills, etc. left by other campers and leaving this gear on the island made portages easier.

Anyway the best way to reach me is paulr@alloyhardfacing.net I can send you the disk with the photos. I only have the real old ones on there since a majority of our pics are on slides. We went every consecutive year from 1953 to 1988. By then it was called "skunk lake" because the fishing was so bad. When the spearing was still a novelty the numbers were way different. From my standpoint I think the fishery is better now than ever. From a camping standpoint it was better then because you might go the whole week and not see another boat other than your own group.

Sorry about the rambling, get me your address and I will send you the photo disk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog caster View Post
    Hello Don H. and others. I have a nice 8x10 b&w photo of me with stringer full of walleye's from a trip to the Flowage in 1963 .......... We started out at Popko's resort and went from there. At that time there was tons of stumps, trees and log jams. The order of the day was to fish walleye with large night crawlers hooked though the girth and tie up to a stump or tree, drop a line and jig for several minutes. If no action, we'de move to the next stump till we hit the jackpot. As boy of 12 I was in awe of the Flambeau flowage as it seemed larger than the Pacific to me. Hwy. FF was a very rough and curvy firelane looking road barely passable in some spots. seemed it took over 45 minutes to reach Popko's from hwy. 51 ......... I can only imagine what it was like prior to that time. We stayed at Art Krueger's resort on Grand Portage in Mercer, with an annual trek to the Flowage every year. Art sold the resort to the McCoys in 1970. Does anyone out there remember Art Krueger ??? He owned the resort from 1953-1970. Larry
    It's quite a gem to come across this when researching my grandfather's(Art Krueger) past. Although I've only been up there twice, after the sale to the McCoys, it was still nice to put things into perspective. Sure wish they kept it in the family for a while longer so I could of been up there to share it and enjoy. If you have any pictures that you could share of this, please message me.
    Thanks!

-Brett

Brett,

My mother has all of our Krueger's Resort pics. I'll have to borrow them, scan them, and then post them, or maybe email them or send you a cd. Give me some time to get this together but, remind me if you don't see something in a couple of month's. Are you living in Wisconsin? I believe my mother (Joyce) may have talked to your mother a number of times reguarding Amy. I recently purchased a cabin on the TFF. Kathy (McCoy) Tutt was my real estate agent. She owns the ReMax Agency in Mercer. I still need to get a hold of the Frog Caster and spend a day fishing on Grand Portage with him....and talk him out of one of Art's musky lures. I'll probably have to bring some beers to accomplish that.

Brian

Default Old photos

Hi Brett,

(My mother has all of our Krueger's Resort pics. I'll have to borrow them, scan them, and then post them, or maybe email them or send you a cd. Give me some time to get this together but, remind me if you don't see something in a couple of month's.)

I would love to see those old photos. If you have success, please post to this site as we can all enjoy them.

Just a lurker popping in. Saw some requests for old TFF related pictures. Some I've posted before, but this stuff never gets old.
    Keep the old stories going! Love hearing it. If you see something here that sparks a memory, tell us about it.

Somebody was reminiscing about Hwy FF...

Log Jam:

Als Place (Fort Flambeau)

The dam...

Hiawatha prior to being torn down:
    Last edited by pma1123; 08-06-2013 at 08:50 AM.

it would be great to have log jams like that today on the flowage great pics.

Default Looking for Brett Krueger

Hello Brett, I do have a few photo's of Art Kruegers resort on Grand Portage Lake in Mercer. Art and Amy were the best !!! Do you live in Reedsburg ? Was your father John ? ....You can reach me @ (224) 430-1768 ...... Regards, Larry

Really enjoy the old pictures of the Turtle Flambeau. I started going up in 1982, after my Mom met my Step-Dad. He started coming up with his Mom and Dad and continued to do so throughout his life (in fact, he now lives in Butternut and just called to ask me to take him fishing!)

Anyway, we would come up for two weeks every summer-the last week in July and the first week in August. We'd camp over at Hiawatha, sometimes in tents, sometimes in campers, and sometimes in a cabin. I remember Rene well (Jack and Bob's mother) as well as their dog "Doc", an old collie that could be a bit grouchy. Early mornings meant bacon and eggs and then early A.M. fishing. My step Dad always fished with Pfluger reels, old steel rods, and braided Dacron line. A white, double tailed Mr Twister was his lure of choice. Northern's and the occasional walleye were caught. Of course, he couldn't go without a shirt pocket full of "Swisher Sweets" a cooler full of Pabst, and his pearl-handled .22 pistol.

Afternoon would roll around and anyone that had been fishing would now be back at the cabin / campsite. Lunch was had and then maybe a nap. In the heat of the day was when we'd go swimming at Hiawatha's beach (close to the bridge of the "honeymoon island". The sound of kids in the water would usually be enough to trigger the step Dad to hook up the water ski rope and away we'd go. For the most part, we'd stick to the Lake Bastine basin as there were still a lot of floaters on the flowage but I can say for sure, at least once, I ski'd all the way down to the dam and back (yes, could have been Darwinism at work!)

Round' about supper time, we'd cook steaks or burgers on the grill. Then the whole crew would head off to the lodge for a few drinks (well, sometimes a whole lot more than a few) with Jack and Bob. Those of us in the younger generation were told to put our soda's "on the tab" and never paid for a thing for those two weeks. The quarters were deep in our pockets and we'd stay out as late as the adults playing Donkey Kong, Centeped, or whatever other video games they had in the lodge at the time. I recall fondly how just about every night, a bat would fly out from the rafters and make a few laps around the bar, causing a drunken commotion. The bat would then crawl back into a dark spot and smart talk, dirty jokes, and adult foolishness continued. Rarely did our crew leave before 2:00 A.M. Then, it was to bed and back up at 6:00 to start it all over again. After all, you can sleep at home- WE were on VACATION!

Other things we did for fun- the step Dad had a 200cc Honda motorcycle. All of us kids learned how to drive by the age of 12 and we'd make "laps" from Hiawatha, through the Flambeau Highlands, to Lake Bastine, then down Turtle Dam Rd to Koshak Rd and Robinson's Landing. At Robinson's you'd turn back, swing through Fort Flambeau and Donner's Bay before heading up the hill in front of Hiawatha with chest puffed out like I was leading a motorcycle gang. Then, I'd hand off the motorcycle to the next kid. Pretty awesome stuff for a 12 year old!

Then there were night's we'd load up the cars and the whole family (I mean extended family- Grandmothers, aunts, uncles, cousin's, etc) and head over to the dump on hy F just north of Thomeks Bar (now Camp 1) We'd disembark and open up our trunks, pulling out firearms like we were on an episode of "Doomsday Preppers" We'd shoot for an hour or so and then climb back into the cars and go visit Earl. I recall the adults talking about cheap beer, and I recall having to only pay a dime to play the barroom bowling game they had in front of the window. After a few drinks and just before sunset, we'd drive back to the dump, stopping short and walking in to watch the bears come out to eat. This was a huge thrill for a kid.

Eventually, my Mom and step-Dad purchased a little piece of land up north with an old trailer home on it. The two of them split up and Mom kept the place. She retired and moved up there with her new husband. They have now "gotten up there" in age and have moved back down south to be closer to medical care and to escape the harsh northern Wisconsin winters. The baton has been passed to my sister and I who have taken over the place. My brother bought the neighbors place and it appears that my family's presence in the the Turtle-Flambeau area has been secured for another generation....

Hope you don't mind my ramblings.

Rich

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

Thanks for sharing those memories with us Flambeaufisher.