www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: 1 million trout stocked??

Default 1 million trout stocked??

I heard from a reliable source last Thursday that by the time the PFBC is finished with their late trout stocking, there will be close to 1 million trout (of various sizes) stocked below the Kinzua Dam.

I am not sure if I believe it or not but based on how difficult the walleye and adult trout bite has been in that area the past several weeks, it makes perfect sense to me. Just too much food right now.......there will be some very heavy fish caught in that area this Fall/Winter. Once again I will say that the walleye and pike records could be in serious trouble. I could see another sub-50 inch pike breaking the current weight record of 35 pounds based on how fat some of these walleye are already. The water is literally boiling with juvenile trout.

Just remember that the stretch of river below Kinzua and 8.75 miles downriver to Warren is C and R until April.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 10-06-2010 at 10:35 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

wow, sounds just a bit overkill... maybe time to go up there with trout pattern baits?

Since the Erie steelhead fishery is raking in 10 million dollars (conservative figure) per year, it makes sense that the PFBC would be bulking up the trout fishery here on this particular section of the Allegheny. Trout/steelhead guys spend serious money.....plain and simple.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

The state stocks 4 million adult trout in the entire state. The fingerlings stocked in the Allegheny are 6 inches on average when stocked so the logistics of 1,000,000 trout seem impossible unless they are a lot smaller than what has been the norm.

The policy of upper gate discharges will always limit the potential of the Allegheny as a trout fishery. That said, its pretty good but one warm dry summer will be a disaster for the trout. The extra fish stocked this year are surplus fish due to above average survival in the hatcheries. I'd be surprised if the state has some grand plan for creating another Erie. The Yough River is better suited as a trout fishery due to colder water from that dam, has better access and is close to Pittsburgh.

Is there a fall stocking planned? Nothing is listed at the Fish Commission site. I don't think any more fish stocked will make the fishing any better than it is now. Jamming more young fish into the river does not guarantee more adult fish next year and seems to be a waste of fish unless of course the alternative is to dump them in a field to make room for next year's adult stockies.

Phil

Default Stocking?

Are they stocking both browns and bows in the river? I agree the walleye, trout bite has kicked my butt on the river too. Kind of off subject, but has anyone heard more about the walleye hatchery on the reservation/Kinzua?

The top draw from the Reservoir is not a true top draw based on the comparison of temps from both sides of the dam. There has to be water being pulled from 15-20 feet below the surface because the max surface temp of the Res was 7-10 degrees warmer than the true "release" temp was this past summer......it was a very hot summer to say the least.

The max river temp reading I got this summer was not over 70 degrees. I had to travel 4-5 miles downriver to find water warmer than 70. I am not trying to argue anyone's opinions but just stating my own readings over the course of the summer. Currently, the top gates are still releasing water and the Res is down 13-14 feet below summer pool right now. If it were a true top draw, the gate would well above the Reservoir water line and the two temp readings (above and below the dam) would be similar during summer time.

As for the PFBC trying to create a haven for trout anglers here on this section, I have no idea. All I know is that they continue to stock more and more trout in the Kinzua Dam section and with the implementation of the trophy trout regulations several years ago, one can only speculate that there is a master plan of some sort.

Phil,

Is there is a trophy trout section of water on the Yough like we have here??
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

I wonder if the Reservoir trout stocking (if the PFBC is still stocking it) was included in the 1 million trout tally??
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress