www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: 12V vs. 24V Trolling Motor?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dave,

I guess I shouldn't have added the word "bigger" in my post. A higher thrust t-motor will push a boat faster assuming the thrust rating is appropriate for the size of the boat.

You already have 2 batteries and assuming they're good, you're set to go there. Depending on what brand & model t-motor you have, you may be able to use the same mounting holes for a 24v motor to replace your current 12v model.

There are a couple of popular bass fishing sites on the web where guys post stuff for sale. Lots of these guys/gals have to have the latest and greatest stuff, and you can sometimes pick up electronics, t-motors, props etc for bargain prices.

Jim

If you already have two trolling motor batteries, you might as well get a 24volt trolling motor like was just said. More power and less worries while wind fishing.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

Dave,

I have an esox magnum and run a minn kota terrova, 24 volt, 80 pound thrust 54 inch shaft trolling motor. I like the 24 volt system for more thrust on windy days and the batteries will last all day even if running on 8-10 all day, and the 54 inch shaft keeps the prop in the water in big waves. My old motor had a 48 inch shaft and at times it would come out of the water. There are few days where the 80 pound thrust has a tough time but that usually means the wind is at 20+ mph. Those days I would like to have a 36 volt system with 100+ pounds of thrust and will probably get one on my next boat, but at that point my magnum is starting to take some water over the bow and I should probably not be out in that heavy of seas anyways. And if the weather is nice you can go for a week without having to re-charge your batteries.

Hope this helps.

Corey Meyer

Yeah, big help from all and thanks for your perspective. I have been looking at the MinnKota PowerDrive v2--with universal sonar, iPilot and AutoPilot. The iPilot and AutoPilot are for some other guys (my dad and brother) that use the boat. I could do without all the bells and whistles, but in the spirit of splitting the bill, I will go with them.

Anyone else use the PowerDrive v2? Check that, I will put up another post to see what you all think about it.

I would listen to what Corey says the most. He has the same rig and knows muskies and rough water. I've seen him out when he and I were the only two people stubborn enough to not go in. He fishes as hard as you guys do to Dave.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com