www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: fishing report

Default fishing report

I am coming to Minocqua 9-27 again this year and I am looking for a recent musky report for the Minocqua Chain. I have always heard that surface lures work well this time of year over shallow water, curious if that is the case this year. If that is the case, what type of surface lures are working. I also curious if any other presentation is working an where. Thanks.

Paul

Hey Paul,

The last time I was out was on Wednesday filming a muskie segment using suckers. We had a 41” in about 4 hours of fishing, caught her on a 12 inch sucker quick-striked. The fish was on a large 8’-12’ weed flat and hit at about 1pm. The rest of the crew is fishing a local tournament this weekend so I should be able to give you a more updated/detailed report on Sunday night.

JS
    J.Sloan
    Badfish Outdoors
    Producer/Cameras/Editor
    Web Site: http://www.badfishoutdoors.net

Thanks Jason, I will look forward to hearing from you and the info.

Paul

Paul,

I talked to several people who fished this weekend and the overall consensus was that it was TOUGH. Muskies were scattered and very negative. With high skies forecasted for the week, you might have to work for ‘em (not that they’re ever easy!)
    I would be prepared to fish shallow, deep, and in-between with live bait and artificials. Live bait might save the day more than once this week. I think the wind should be good, so drifting quick-striked suckers should be a breeze. Don’t be afraid to stop and Rollie and Helen’s for your bait, they talk to muskie anglers throughout the day and might have current updates as the week goes on.
    As for artificials, spinnerbaits, suicks, double 10 bucktails, bulldawgs, cranks should all work. From the inconsistency of the bite this weekend I would start shallow and move deep. Topwater might still be good too, our favorites are walk-the-dawg types as well as tailbaits like a pacemaker or rumbler.
    If it is real slow, don’t overlook the night bite right now, especially the 2 hours after sunset.
    Big cranks along weed lines and grinding hard-bottomed humps can be real good too. I have a feeling live bait might be your best bet this week.
    As you can tell, there hasn’t been a real stand-out pattern that is working right now. Don’t be afraid to experiment, and if you have the means, get of the chain if it is dead. Best of luck and let us know how you do.

JS
    J.Sloan
    Badfish Outdoors
    Producer/Cameras/Editor
    Web Site: http://www.badfishoutdoors.net

Thanks Jason, I read this after spending a day on the "Chain" and I agree with what you have heard. The overcast and north wind should have been helped but it was still hard work. We did manage one swirl and one small follow for our days work. I hope tommorow will be better. I think we wil stay on the Chain though just because we are only here for one more day. Will let you know howwe fair.

Paul

Having anymore luck lately? Water is finally getting cold over here been going to slow walk the dog style jerkbaits for the pike. I got to get my butt in gear and atleast try a trip for muskies sometime. Not very close to me and I don't get enough time to go for them. Did end up with a pretty hefty northern about 3 weeks ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39 inch.JPG 
Views:	322 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	11895