Hello Fang, Bait casting can be difficult as we all know. Backlashes, distance etc. Here are a few simple theories I have: When the spool is spinning faster than the lure is traveling.......guess what ??? a scenario for backlashes......hmmmm. "Thumb control" is key here. As stated by previous posts, drag, line weight, length of rod, wind etc. play into casting distance and the "dreaded" backlash. A previous post used the word "sling" when casting heavy muskie
lures. I have found in essence that's what it is..... a sling!!! Throwing a top water lure is the easiest. One can throw them a country mile with little difficulty. Lures like the double cowgirl, magnum dogs etc. are a different story. I've found that an 8ft. rod with medium stiffness works best. I've tried different types of line, mono, braided and line weight, and it didn't seem to make a monumental difference. Throwing with the wind, and a somewhat "line drive" delivery vs. trying to hit the clouds works best. Setting the drag on the tight side helps cure backlashes, but will shorten casting distance. Don't be consumed with distance, as I've been with better fishermen than me who have landed Muskies with casts less than 75 feet. Also just watch other guys on the lake you fish, and you'll see that no one is setting any distance records !!!! The bottom line is you'll find your own way, and your own techniques as time passes. It's not rocket science, as there's only so much you can do !!! ........ Best regards, The frog caster.